Malawa Shrimp - Photo Gallery and Blog

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Malawa Shrimp - Photo Gallery and Blog

Post by infopimp »

Well... I'd say this serves and pretty definite confirmation!!! Momma is hanging out now...

I wanted to note an observation... the Malawa molted 1 day after I added a dry, fallen Maple leaf to the tank. In another tank, I also had another first - a berried Bumblebee Shrimp - also 1 day after adding the leaf... also I had just performed a 10% water change with R/O... the tank water in there had been VERY hard... who knows... I'm just excited.

Do you think I caught "the moment" in that video? Here is a high res version you can download - tell me what you think: lol

Right-click to download... 90MB quicktime movie:

http://www.imageseek.com/malawa/Malawa_ ... served.mov

Not sure how long I will leave that link up, so be sure to save it if you are a super Shrimp Nerd.

Below: Photos from tonight... show the eggs quite clearly now! Wow... that was fast!

How long now? Three weeks?
Attachments
berried_malawa_1952-1.jpg
berried_malawa_1952-1.jpg (37.03 KiB) Viewed 8230 times
berried_malawa_1949-1.jpg
berried_malawa_1949-1.jpg (168.21 KiB) Viewed 8231 times
berried_malawa_1950.sized.jpg
berried_malawa_1950.sized.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 8230 times
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

Some updates...
Attachments
CRS_MALAWA_2022.sized.jpg
CRS_MALAWA_2022.sized.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 8194 times
malawa_2102.sized.jpg
malawa_2102.sized.jpg (81.46 KiB) Viewed 8195 times
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

A couple photos from this morning... the male is getting a free ride on the berried female.
Attachments
malawa_2460.sized.jpg
malawa_2460.sized.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 8159 times
malawa_get_off_my_back_2458.sized.jpg
malawa_get_off_my_back_2458.sized.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

I'm pretty sure I just spotted the first Malawa Shrimplets.

Could this really be possible when I first saw eggs January 12th?

Wow... if even an amateur like me can breed these, these should stay in the hobby for a long time. :)
Attachments
malawa_maybe_2532.jpg
malawa_maybe_2532.jpg (163.29 KiB) Viewed 8126 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, of course it is possible. :) I really hope that these guys stay around. Usually, when I introduce new shrimp to the hobby, they disappear after a while and I am the only one still with that particular species. If my population dies out due to some mishap (happened before), the shrimp is lost to the hobby. :( Good luck! :)
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Mustafa wrote:Yes, of course it is possible. :) I really hope that these guys stay around. Usually, when I introduce new shrimp to the hobby, they disappear after a while and I am the only one still with that particular species. If my population dies out due to some mishap (happened before), the shrimp is lost to the hobby. :( Good luck! :)
Hey Mustafa,

I am watching your back so to speak :lol: ..... Still have all mine going strong.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good! Keep up the good work! :)
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

So far these are easier to breed than Cherries, and more fun to watch. Even the shrimplets swim around like the adults, we're having a blast here watching them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

"Easier to breed" is always relative. It all depends on the tank conditions. Some "hard to breed" species can breed like rabbits if the conditions are right. Creating the right conditions for shrimp is really the most important aspect of shrimp breeding/keeping, much more so than for fish. The rest usually takes are of itself. Fish, in general, seem to have a much higher tolerance for variances.
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

Good point!

I should clarify, that for me it has been very easy. I'm using half R/O, half tap water (my tap water in my community is VERY hard... like gh of 16), temperature is around 72.... and I am very much over filtering their tank... and now... after just checking, I now have four more malawas berried at this time!!!

I can see the next two that are about to get berried as well. I will do a new photo shoot soon, maybe later this weekend... the females are getting VERY dark and quite varied in color - some are amber, some are dark blue green... amazing to see so much variation.

The babies are just like the parents behavior wise... they explore and swim all over the tank.... compared to the similarly aged CRS shrimplets in there who do more "hopping around" early in their lives.
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

This Malawa is very deep amber in color - I backlit her a bit to get these photos with a blue LED lamp. Malawas seem far less shy of lights than the CRS in the tank, who seem to flee when the light comes their way.
Attachments
malawa_2619.sized.jpg
malawa_2619.sized.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
malawa_2613.sized.jpg
malawa_2613.sized.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Infopimp, it's awesome you are having berried females and seeing babies. It is such a joy to see the first baby of a shrimp you are trying to keep.

Mustafa, There are some us who are trying to get colonies established.....there is just such a learning curve to successfully keeping shrimp long term and like you say mishaps can be devastating to a colony.

On a happy note the Malawa's I received are doing really well. They seem very happy in the tank they are currently in. :smt026
Mustafa wrote:Yes, of course it is possible. :) I really hope that these guys stay around. Usually, when I introduce new shrimp to the hobby, they disappear after a while and I am the only one still with that particular species. If my population dies out due to some mishap (happened before), the shrimp is lost to the hobby. :( Good luck! :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I know....long term colony establishment is definitely a nut that needs to be cracked in the hobby. Anyone can breed and raise any shrimp out here at any given time, but will they be able to keep the colony going for years? Hopefully I can at least write some articles about my experiences over the years and give some tips and pointers.
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Yes, there is all kinds of excellent information to read here on your forum. When I first started I went back through and read all of the old posts I could. It was really interesting to follow the progression of the hobby through everyone's posts. :)
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

One of my Malawas is consistently a bright orange... I wonder if this is just environment or if it could be selectively bred.

Another fun photo below.

High res of both available at links (useful to see patterns)

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/gallery/m ... 769?full=1

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/gallery/m ... 775?full=1
Attachments
malawa_orange_2769.sized.jpg
malawa_orange_2769.sized.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
malawa_pile_2775.sized.jpg
malawa_pile_2775.sized.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 7974 times