im so excited now...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I don't think it has anything to do with an algae diet (plus his tank did not look like it was growing any algae at all). I am thinking that the tank is not established, since it looked like it was a newly put up tank. Shrimp are very susceptible to the "new tank syndrome".

They are doing well in your tank because it is an established plant tank with tons of microorganisms in there that take care of both water quality and food needs. It's not the sweet patatoes that keep your shrimp alive... :-D ;-)

Tim, if you have any established (long-running) tank without predators in them I would *immediately* move the shrimp into that tank. That should work wonders....

Take care,
Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Piscesgirl,

Sorry that happened. I did not want it happen. I tried my best to do everything possible. I get lesson now. I will keep updated how they do in 20g tank. I apologize deeply from my heart!

Mustafa,

I did what you suggested yesterday. I put them in 20g tank yesterday night. They started to look for food and ate right away. I had no choice yesterday night even I have a pair bumble bee in 20g. The female just got eggs. I know they will possible hybrid, but what can I do? It was only thought I have yesterday night. If I did not make the decision, they probably all pass away yesterday in couple hours.

To all,

I do not recommand you to keep crystal/bee/bumble bee in nano tank. Please keep them at least 20g tank. Bigger is better. Water condition can easy to keep stable. Do not put them as test subject! Other species may make it, but not crystal/bee/bumble bee! 10g tank is still too small for crystal/bee/bumble bee!

Thanks to all,
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Tim,

You did the right thing. Do not worry right now about accidentally hybridizing your bumblebees with the crystal reds. At least they are not the same species and might not hybridize at all...but then...they might. In other words, the word is not out yet if they actually hybridize or not. Either way, you have no choice.

What I would do now is to get that 10 gallon of yours a substrate (sand, gravel etc.), put some plants in and let that tank age. Then you can decide if you want to keep your cystal reds or bumblebees in there. 10 gallon is usually just fine if the tank is prepared properly and is an "old" tank with lots of microorganisms.

Keep us up to date on those Crystal Reds.

Take care,
Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Petshrimp.com wrote:Hi Tim,

You did the right thing. Do not worry right now about accidentally hybridizing your bumblebees with the crystal reds. At least they are not the same species and might not hybridize at all...but then...they might. In other words, the word is not out yet if they actually hybridize or not. Either way, you have no choice.

What I would do now is to get that 10 gallon of yours a substrate (sand, gravel etc.), put some plants in and let that tank age. Then you can decide if you want to keep your cystal reds or bumblebees in there. 10 gallon is usually just fine if the tank is prepared properly and is an "old" tank with lots of microorganisms.

Keep us up to date on those Crystal Reds.

Take care,
Mustafa
Hi Mustafa,

Thanks for information. I will keep updated. They seem to be fine in the 20g tank.

Thanks,
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

By the way. Today I got Crystal Red Shrimp in the mail! They are juveniles still, but at the rate my shrimp are growing in my tanks they should be breeding in 2-3 weeks.

Now I have both the Bee Shrimp and the Crystal Red shrimp. It's interesting, that the Bee shrimp is actually much rarer in the US than the Crystal Red shrimp (although both are still extremely rare). The Bumblebee shrimp seems to be much more commonly available in North America. I have no idea why, since both the Bee Shrimp and it's red variety, the Crystal Red Shrimp , are extremely attractive shrimp.

I just love these guys...I now have about 14 different species of shrimp in my tanks, which should almost all be available on my website sometime this year.

In any case, good luck with those Crystal Reds!

Take care,
Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Petshrimp.com wrote:By the way. Today I got Crystal Red Shrimp in the mail! They are juveniles still, but at the rate my shrimp are growing in my tanks they should be breeding in 2-3 weeks.

Now I have both the Bee Shrimp and the Crystal Red shrimp. It's interesting, that the Bee shrimp is actually much rarer in the US than the Crystal Red shrimp (although both are still extremely rare). The Bumblebee shrimp seems to be much more commonly available in North America. I have no idea why, since both the Bee Shrimp and it's red variety, the Crystal Red Shrimp , are extremely attractive shrimp.

I just love these guys...I now have about 14 different species of shrimp in my tanks, which should almost all be available on my website sometime this year.

In any case, good luck with those Crystal Reds!

Take care,
Mustafa
Hi Mustafa,

Keep us updated how they are doing. Can you take some pictures of your setup and shrimps? I am looking for at least 5 females crystal reds. Please let me know if you have some extra. I am also very interested in bee shrimps as well. Please pm me if you can hook me up.

Thanks,
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Tim,

I'll post some pictures of both the Crystal Red Shrimp and the tanks soon. Unfortunately I cannot spare any of the shrimp at this point since they are my "breeding stock."

As to the bees...I am almost certain that I am the only one breeding (and soon offering for sale) the bee shrimp at this point in the US. The bee shrimp were *accidentally* imported as "Tiger Shrimp" and I snapped up all available shrimp to establish a breeding colony.

Again, I can't spare any right now, but they should be available in a few months, maybe even earlier.

Take care,
Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

By the way...the Crystal Reds are already eating like pigs and shedding their skin to accommodate growth. It is completely normal in my tanks that shrimp shed their shells almost *every day*, because of the amounts of the right kind of food available in my tanks. I've had Red Cherry Shrimp reach sexual maturity in only *3 weeks* after hatching! I was surprised myself! :lol:
My Green Shrimp (C. babaulti) just doubled in size in less than a week. So did my bee shrimp (some even tripled in size) and some of my other shrimp species from India (which I have not listed on my website yet).

As I said in my article...as long as they get the *right* kind of food (and certainly the right water conditions), the shrimp will grow like crazy and reproduce.

Take care,
Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Petshrimp.com wrote:Hi Tim,

I'll post some pictures of both the Crystal Red Shrimp and the tanks soon. Unfortunately I cannot spare any of the shrimp at this point since they are my "breeding stock."

As to the bees...I am almost certain that I am the only one breeding (and soon offering for sale) the bee shrimp at this point in the US. The bee shrimp were *accidentally* imported as "Tiger Shrimp" and I snapped up all available shrimp to establish a breeding colony.

Again, I can't spare any right now, but they should be available in a few months, maybe even earlier.

Take care,
Mustafa
Hi Mustafa,

That is cool. Please just put me on the waiting list! I will pick them up by myself.

Thanks,
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Petshrimp.com wrote:By the way...the Crystal Reds are already eating like pigs and shedding their skin to accommodate growth. It is completely normal in my tanks that shrimp shed their shells almost *every day*, because of the amounts of the right kind of food available in my tanks. I've had Red Cherry Shrimp reach sexual maturity in only *3 weeks* after hatching! I was surprised myself! :lol:
My Green Shrimp (C. babaulti) just doubled in size in less than a week. So did my bee shrimp (some even tripled in size) and some of my other shrimp species from India (which I have not listed on my website yet).

As I said in my article...as long as they get the *right* kind of food (and certainly the right water conditions), the shrimp will grow like crazy and reproduce.

Take care,
Mustafa
Mustafa,

Good to hear they are doing well in your tank. What size tanks are you using for bee and crystal red? My LFS just got lots of green and rainbow shrimps. Many females already carried eggs, but I do not have space to keep them now. Just sold my 10g crystal red shrimp tank to my cousin last Sunday. I think I will not use 10g or smaller tank for crystal red/bee anymore. It is really hard to keep water condition right in nano tank, especially for those sensitive species. People can still use nano tank as crystal red shrimp tank, but need more time to mantain. I think I did, but it did not work that well.

Keep us updated!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Tim,

I am just using 10 gallon tanks as breeding tanks. No problems at all. As I said, it's all about providing the right environment.

Mustafa
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I personally do not like ten gallon tanks for anything other than quarantine/hospital/fry tanks, but I had suggested one to Pigheaddd as opposed to even smaller tanks -- which I don't even think should exist other than for plant only.

Small tanks fluctuate in temperature, parameters, etc. much more quickly than larger tanks.

Although Pigheadd apparently did not have CO2 and high light to my knowledge in that 10 gallon tank -- most plant people using high light and CO2 (including DIY) and fast-growing stem plants do not experience "new tank syndrome" and usually never have a traditional cycle. The plants use up all the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Most plant people can set up their tanks and add a normal bioload immediately.
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I will have to admit that this can also be the case for *some* lower light tanks too -- please refer to Diana Walstad's book "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" for some excellent information on planted tanks, their ecology, their chemistry.