water louse- Asellus sp.

This forum is read-only.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

water louse- Asellus sp.

Post by badflash »

Has anyone cultured Asellus? These are the common water louse. I have them in my scud tank, and they seem to actually be doing better than the scuds.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

I had some for a while many years ago. They did well with no real effort made to propagate them. They like fungi. There was an article in TFH in the early 80's (? maybe the late 70's) detailing a study an aquarist had done - it seems Asellus will eat fungused fish eggs, and not touch healthy ones.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash , i am looking for thos guy since a while now :(
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: water louse- Asellus sp.

Post by Terran »

zapisto wrote:badflash , i am looking for thos guy since a while now :(
Ive found them available zapisto through some live-specimen science teaching aids....PM me if you want the site I saw them at....or just google live specimens....should be able to find it
invert phil
Egg
Egg

Re: water louse- Asellus sp.

Post by invert phil »

I have had a culture in my white cloud minnow tank for 3 years now and they are still going strong, they have formed the main part of my clean up crew. In this tank they only come out at night. I had them in a glass dish before they were put in the tank and were out during the day as well (due to no predators being around...). I used to feed them on fish food and small pieces of leaves.