Relative sensitivity of invertebrates

This forum is read-only.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Relative sensitivity of invertebrates

Post by marusempai »

I have been trying to compose a list, as detailed as possible, for my own reference and thought it might be useful to everyone (and could certainly become more complete with help!) Least to most sensitive:

physid ramshorns and pond snails
asolene spixi (maybe marisas too?)
haustrom
redclaw macros
amano shrimp
red cherry/snowball shrimp
tiger/bee/crystal red shrimp (?)
brigs

Ideas? Comments? Additions?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Sensitive to what?
My cherries are way more sensitive to water quality than by Brigs. My spixies too. I have a feeling that there are many factors that effect what you think of as sensitivity. Each persons's water and tank arrangements must feed into this.

I know lots of people have trouble with breeding cajun crayfish, even ones from me that breed like roaches in my tanks. I get moxed feedback, some people have the same results I do, others have no luck at all.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

I mean, first sensativity to water quality (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and second how "picky" are they (like, cherry shrimp don't care much what their pH is, but tiger shrimp do). I am trying to incorporate both, although I have yet to see if that will work in the long run. Maybe it would be better to think of "if my water parameters went off, what would be the first species to show the difference"?

For some background, here's the situation that got me thinking about this: in my recent hideous nitrite spike, my spixis were still snailing around even though I was absolutely off the chart, even the tiny babies (why I put them on the less sensitive end). The redclaws that were with them were ok at first, but eventually died, and the single cherry shrimp who came over on some moss immediately died (what tipped me off that something was wrong). So there are clearly levels of sensitivity: just because the snails are still fine, say, doesn't mean that something else will be. Am I making sense?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, perfect, but to be of use you need to categorize. Ammonia & nitrite, pH, harness, etc. Could be a big project.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

Hmmm... maybe I will have to keep it limited to ammonia/nitrite/nitrate sensitivity for now, although I think there will be fewer levels that way. I will have to think about it some more. :smt017
invert phil
Egg
Egg

Re: Relative sensitivity of invertebrates

Post by invert phil »

What are the levels of ammonia (I am guessing you mean unionized ammonia NH3 not total) are damaging to these species and at what temp and pH(as these effect how bio-available NH3 will be)? This is a good project, but will require data research into what levels are toxic for it to be reliable and useful. The list that you have compiled so far, is it a list of species that you have observed in your own tank?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Relative sensitivity of invertebrates

Post by Mustafa »

Given that this thread is three years old, it's unlikely you will be any replies. It would be nice if people *did* contribute their experiences, though.