Aack! Opae Ula hiding?!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

RMDelete
Egg
Egg

Aack! Opae Ula hiding?!

Post by RMDelete »

Okay so I noticed two days ago after I added in my mini water heater that my Opae Ula are missing. I see maybe only about 2-3 swimming around. No corpses, maybe 2 molts. But no bodies. The filter is clean there is nothing stuck on it. The temperature is about 80.4 (it was about 76.0 when they were last noted hiding) so that is why I re-introduced the heater. I left the lights off all day to see if they would come out. I gently moved the main display lava rock and a few came out but went back into hiding. Anyone know what this means? Did I kill them? Are they scared? Are they busy? lol not quite sure what to make of this... the last setup I had didn't have a true lava rock in it, just a porous rock, this time it IS a lava rock. I'm not sure if they have a natural propensity to want to hide in lava rock but it seems to be the case here, then again I am no shrimp expert but I am very concerned as I had never seen soo many shrimp hide and am starting to suspect they maybe dead but no bodies are around!! Argh! Help! :oops:
guavakai
Egg
Egg

Re: Aack! Opae Ula hiding?!

Post by guavakai »

what happened to them?
ernopena
Larva
Larva

Post by ernopena »

It is in their nature to hide. That is what they do. In the wild. It is unnatural for them to be out in bright light out in the open. Give your shrimp a place to hide, and let them hide, and they'll feel more at home and start to act more naturally, and breed...
RMDelete
Egg
Egg

Post by RMDelete »

okay I have been gone for a looooong time, mostly because I have a tendency to forget things. I wanted to post an update. A few days after I posted this the shrimp emerged, all of them survived and seem to be doing just fine.... unfortunately no breeding :\ soooo now I am back to do a little more reading