safety of PEX pipe

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JohnPaul
Larva
Larva

safety of PEX pipe

Post by JohnPaul »

A question related to the safety of using items in shrimp tanks...

It has to do with PEX (crosslinked polyethylene) piping. I'd like to build a "cray condo" for a mixed tank of CPO's and dwarf shrimp. At Home Depot earlier today I bought a length of 1" PVC pipe and a length of 1/2" pipe that I thought was also PVC. But upon arriving home and examining it more closely, it is actually PEX not PVC. Visually it looks almost indistinguishable from PVC...same color, the only real difference is it feels a little less "slick" (or smooth), and seems to be a little less dense. But very very similar. I did a little research on PEX and it is considered safe for human drinking water supplies; in fact it is considered a safer type of pipe to use for drinking water than PVC. This would lead me to assume it is safe for use in a shrimp tank, but sometimes such assumptions aren't necessarily correct. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for any help...

EDIT: originally had two questions, but found the answer to the first after a more thorough forum search. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: safety of PEX pipe

Post by Mustafa »

I've used PVC in tanks before...without a problem. If PEX is even safer than PVC, then obviously your shrimp are safe.