Red Cherry Shrimp problems

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mroli123
Egg
Egg

Red Cherry Shrimp problems

Post by mroli123 »

Hi, I have recently bought some red cherry shrimp and I am having a few problems (I think, or maybe its just normal behaviour!?)

There are a couple of dead shrimp (I had 20) at the bottom of the tank, the rest are alive, not moving too much and afew more are sitting on the side of the
tank just below the water line?

I have had a tank set up for over a week, with plenty of stones and 2 moss balls for them to do whatever they do with, I received them in the post today (I bought them from ebay) and checked on the internet on how to put them in the tank, it said to get them out of the packaging, into a tub and add 5% of the tank water every 2 minutes, I did this and eventually emptied them into the tank - they seemed fine exploring and wizzing around, went to play football and just got back to find some of them laying on the side at the bottom of the tank (I think they may be dead) and some more sitting just below the water surface, they are still alive because I put my finger in to see if they would move, but they don't look to healthy!

I am not sure if this is normal behaviour, I was expecting the odd loss but I don't want to loose them all, does anyone have any experience or advice to offer?

My plan originally was to get afew cherry shrimp in a seperate tank, breed afew of them and then put some in with my axolotl to clean the tank up a bit, add a bit of variety to the tank

If anyone has any advice it would be great!
Carlo
Larva
Larva

Re: Red Cherry Shrimp problems

Post by Carlo »

Hello, it is best to wait more than just over a week, to let the tank cycle. Check your water parameters and maybe it will indicate high ammonia. This behavior sounds like poor water quality.

Let me know what the readings you get are.