Opae 'Ula Question

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Patriciariv
Egg
Egg

Opae 'Ula Question

Post by Patriciariv »

I was given an ecosphere with 4 of these little guys in it. Since then I have put them in a 2 gal. aquarium. With marine sand, and Brackish water like I was told. They seem happy and look great, they're swimming around and everything. I do plan to get lava rock, currently trying to find them in my area. :roll:

I do have a concern though. Currently I have the filter part of the aquarium unplugged, when I have it on it seems to create a lot of current in the aquarium, and i'm afraid it will stress them. I also want them to breed if they can, and i'm afraid the current would affect the babies. I have seen the videos in Youtube, some people don't have them with filters and they seem to do fine.

The aquarium is a Fluval Desktop Glass Aquarium, with a Circulation Pump (150 LPH/40 US Gal).
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Opae 'Ula Question

Post by Mustafa »

HI and welcome! :) A little bit of current is ok actually, as long as the current is very gentle. Although a filter is not absolutely needed, a filter helps speed up the cycling process. Without a filter it may take a little longer for the tank to cycle. Once you get larvae they definitely don't want to be swept around by strong currents. They basically just float around in the water column.
Patriciariv
Egg
Egg

Re: Opae 'Ula Question

Post by Patriciariv »

Yeah, that's my prob. I'm not sure if the current would be classified as gentle or not... To me it looks a little rough for them. But i'm sure...