Shrimp ID?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Cleggat
Egg
Egg

Shrimp ID?

Post by Cleggat »

Well I bought this one yesterday with two others they were supposed to be the same type but clearly not, one of the others is amano and the other one is glass I am guessing. I am worried about her type, she is kept with 2 african dwarf frogs and the other two I bought.. Will she attack/kill them? I've been researching all day trying to find out what she is but I got nothing.. Here she is! Many thanks.

demonte1997
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Shrimp ID?

Post by demonte1997 »

Oooooh! That's a Macro of some sort. Definitely not an Amano or ghost shrimp. If you google Macrobrachium it will give you a million hits about prawn and all the variants. There are over 200 described species in the world. Their range spans quite a few continents in the tropics. Some get over a foot in length (M. Rosenbergii being the largest)... Many stay small (1-3"). They are usually aggressive, thus do not get along well with other tankmates. Not usually sought after by aquarium owners because of this.

I personally love them. They have the coolest personality you'll see out of an invert. Very intelligent and inquisitive. They grow like weeds (larger ones) and can look quite striking when they get to adult size. I have a juvenile Rosenbergii in a 20 gallon by himself and a Tenellum (blue tint prawn from S. America) in another 20.

Pics of them below.

The Rosenbergii is in the second pic. That image was taken about three weeks ago, he's since doubled his size. haha

Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions. If the one you have becomes a burden, I'd gladly take it off your hands. :) It looks like a red claw macro at first blush to me but it's tough to say not knowing where it came from (not as aggressive as others and does not get very big). When they are small, they look pretty similar.
Cleggat
Egg
Egg

Post by Cleggat »

demonte1997 wrote:Oooooh! That's a Macro of some sort. Definitely not an Amano or ghost shrimp. If you google Macrobrachium it will give you a million hits about prawn and all the variants. There are over 200 described species in the world. Their range spans quite a few continents in the tropics. Some get over a foot in length (M. Rosenbergii being the largest)... Many stay small (1-3"). They are usually aggressive, thus do not get along well with other tankmates. Not usually sought after by aquarium owners because of this.

I personally love them. They have the coolest personality you'll see out of an invert. Very intelligent and inquisitive. They grow like weeds (larger ones) and can look quite striking when they get to adult size. I have a juvenile Rosenbergii in a 20 gallon by himself and a Tenellum (blue tint prawn from S. America) in another 20.

Pics of them below.

The Rosenbergii is in the second pic. That image was taken about three weeks ago, he's since doubled his size. haha

Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions. If the one you have becomes a burden, I'd gladly take it off your hands. :) It looks like a red claw macro at first blush to me but it's tough to say not knowing where it came from (not as aggressive as others and does not get very big). When they are small, they look pretty similar.
P.S. Your Rosie and Tene are lovely!
Cleggat
Egg
Egg

Post by Cleggat »

Aha! Thanks mate I new I had posted it on another site as well as here and another shrimp site! Yeah I got into contact with someone who had pictures and it doesn't look like her I have to agree, I would give you reputation but I apparently can't! I'll look up those types thanks, I have already fed mine from my hand I do it nearly all of the time unless I am feeding her trout because she goes crazy for that (got videos on youtube).. She seems very aggressive. I put a shrimp in with her when it was the same size.. As soon as it was in she chased it like mad for a few moments until I could get the shrimp out who HATES getting netted.. But it ran in the net, it must've been scared.. Although I do love that she does not tear up live plants, she just cleans them. My posts aren't appearing..?