new/old pics of my Opae Ula / Hawaiian Red Shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ernopena
Larva
Larva

new/old pics of my Opae Ula / Hawaiian Red Shrimp

Post by ernopena »

I found a CD of old images of my shrimp tank from back in November 2007. You can see all 52 on my Picasa page here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ernopena/Op ... impNov2007

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: new/old pics of my Opae Ula / Hawaiian Red Shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Nice pictures! I seem to remember you posting some of these pictures back then. Have you set up a new tank, yet?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Nice pictures. What is the green string algae? I have two different types in my tanks. One is fast growing,very fine, hair like and multi branched the other is thicker, slower growing and not as branched. They did not appear until I raised my s.g. to 1.013.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote:Nice pictures. What is the green string algae? I have two different types in my tanks. One is fast growing,very fine, hair like and multi branched the other is thicker, slower growing and not as branched. They did not appear until I raised my s.g. to 1.013.
Looks like he does not check his thread frequently. Anyway, I have observed various types of string algae in my Opae tanks. The literature is full of references to string algae that can live both in freshwater and brackish water, so it is hard to say what species of algae you have until you take a look at it under the microscope. The same species can have different growth forms, too, like hard and wiry or soft and densely growing. I have actually dropped hair algae from my freshwater tanks directly into my Opae tanks and they continued growing and even taking over the tank.

I also have a species of Chaetomorpha sp. macroalga that grows very prolifically in brackish water.
ernopena
Larva
Larva

Post by ernopena »

Cotigirl, I have no idea what kind of string algae that is. The black lava rock that is attached to is a part of the original rock that came in the eco-sphere that these shrimp were rescued from. The shrimp will climb on it, but I've never seen them graze off it. They spend more time grazing on the glass.
ernopena
Larva
Larva

Post by ernopena »

BTW does anyone believe the superstition that you will have years of bad luck if you use real black lava rock from Hawaii?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Of course not. Like any superstition it's nonsense. In this case people just ascribe all kinds of "bad events" to the fact that they have a rock from Hawaii (and someone told them that it's bad luck).
ernopena wrote:BTW does anyone believe the superstition that you will have years of bad luck if you use real black lava rock from Hawaii?