Keeping burrowing snail with raphael catfishes

This forum is read-only.
molluscloving951
Egg
Egg

Keeping burrowing snail with raphael catfishes

Post by molluscloving951 »

I have a 56 column tank with with eheim 2217 and a aquaclear 400 powerhead with 2 stackable sponge filter rated for 250 gallon tank. I have two warmouth sunfishes (between 1-2 inches) and three striped and three spotted raphael catfishes (betwwen 1-3 inches). I also have 16 lucky bamboo as additional filtration system. I want to add twelve burrowing snails to help keep the gravel clean. I also hear that raphaeal are good at eating snails will these rabbit burrowing snail be safe from the catfish? :smt006 :D :smt006
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Keeping burrowing snail with raphael catfishes

Post by Mustafa »

Are you saying you have a sulawesi rabbit snail? It's not clear in your post as there are other, more common, burrowing snails like malaysian trumpet snails. As for the catfish, it does seem to eat snails in nature, but I don't think there are snails with very hard shells where it lives, so it's hard to say if it will be able to eat your snails or not. I don't have any experience with this catfish species, so I can't tell you anything for certain. Sometimes you may just have to bite the bullet and try it out. But please make sure that you exhaust all kinds of google searches before you do so, as there may be people out there who have already tried this before.
molluscloving951
Egg
Egg

Re: Keeping burrowing snail with raphael catfishes

Post by molluscloving951 »

Yes I do mean the sulawesi burrowing snails. I was hoping to keep some to help clean up the gravel a bit. Water change wil kept up every week about 50%. I hope their shell are to hard for raphael catfish to get too>