Inactive cherry shrimps!! Help!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

RandyL3312
Egg
Egg

Inactive cherry shrimps!! Help!!

Post by RandyL3312 »

My cherry shrimps living with guppies in my 6 gallon fluval edge have been very inactive in the past few days. I only see them hanging out near or under neath the sponger filter attached to the water pump. I suspect it might be due to the new 2 10-watt fluorescent bulbs I have over hanging the tank. I also suspect it might be the result of a emerging snail infestation. The tank is starting to get over run by baby snails and maybe its offsetting the eco system? Ammonia and nitite levels are at zero while nitrate is at 40 ppm. Any ideas anyone? Thanks a bunch.

Also on an unrelated note, I just noticed that the filtered water coming out of my sink has a ph about 6.6 but my tank water is usually 7.6-7.8. Perhaps my substrate is increasing the ph? What do you guys think?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Inactive cherry shrimps!! Help!!

Post by Mustafa »

It may just be getting ready to molt. Just wait it out before you change something in your tank that may actually adversely affect the shrimp. If your shrimp were doing fine before and you did not change anything dramatically (fluorescent bulbs won't have any affect on them), then there is no reason to mess with things. Plus, in tanks with fish shrimp may actually live a little bit more hidden than in shrimp only tanks. They are more active at night in such tanks.