Blue and pink ramshorn snails

This forum is read-only.
betta5
Egg
Egg

Blue and pink ramshorn snails

Post by betta5 »

I purchased some blue and pink ramshorn snails. The person had kept them in an aquarium all together. Some are indeed pink and some blue, but I have the feeling alot of the snails carry both genes. as the blues seem to have a pink tinge to them in the shell area. I think (but do not know that both genes are recessive and would require two copies to show the color.

Is it possible for a snail to be both blue and pink? There are two large snails in the aquarium that are more of a gold color but they also are both blue and pink tinged on the same snail but not really either blue or pink in color.

Thanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Blue and pink ramshorn snails

Post by Mustafa »

There is all kinds of variation in ramshorn snails. If you could provide a picture it would be easier to figure out what you are talking about and comment on it.
betta5
Egg
Egg

Post by betta5 »

I'll try to get some to post then...
betta5
Egg
Egg

Post by betta5 »

This is probably the most bi-colored one of the batch... It is nickle sized so I don't think it will turn completely blue or pink because there are smaller snails that are either one color or the other.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm...that just looks like a usual variation of a "wild type" brown ramshorn. The pink ones are really pink/red. The "blues" look different, too, although you need a lot of imagination to call the "blue" ones really blue.
betta5
Egg
Egg

Post by betta5 »

Ok. These guys look blue (gray) with pink highlights to me....and there are some solid pink ones in the aquarium (look more like reds with clear shells to me though). There are also two gold/wildtype snails in there so I do have a more wildtype coloration for comparision...have removed them though because I do not want to promote the wild type coloration in this population. But I guess the coloration on this snail wasn't as unique as I thought then.