Cambarellus schmitti

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

betta5
Egg
Egg

Cambarellus schmitti

Post by betta5 »

Has anyone kept and bred Cambarellus schmitti ? I am looking for info on water conditions etc. It wont' be a quick process but I am hoping to collect some over the next few months to see if I can get a breeding population going. However, I have been told they are rare and want to try to have everything correct in my aquarium(s) before I find them. Supposedly there are some areas where they "might" be found within a couple of hours of my location. Thanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Cambarellus schmitti

Post by Mustafa »

Most Cambarellus in the US normally live in water that is around neutral Ph to slightly acidic. That does not mean that they cannot live in slightly alkaline water. If you have a Ph of 6.8 to about 7.3 to 7.4, they should be ok. Just make sure that if you use any amount of tap water that there is no trace of chloramines left...in other words, use plenty of whatever dechlorinator you have. And let me know how it all goes once your mission has been accomplished. :)
betta5
Egg
Egg

Re: Cambarellus schmitti

Post by betta5 »

Thanks :) Will do. Water out of my tap is around 8 to 8.2 but I'm not sure if the pH locally is comparable since I've never tested streams. Guess I'll have to do that. I have lots of prime so can definitely remove chloramines!