newbie with bowl...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

tws
Egg
Egg

newbie with bowl...

Post by tws »

greetings,

i've never grown shrimp but am putting together a planted bowl and eventually hope to inhabit it with cherry shrimp, an easy breed - i'm told - to raise.

here is a picture of my 24 gallon mekong delta bowl.

(it is larger than the specified img size for this forum, hence the link.)

http://www.theworriedshrimp.com/aquascapebowl16.jpg

to accomplish this project i have gathered:

Azoo Plant Grower Bed

U.P. Aqua Shrimp Sand

CL26BK: Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight (i am hoping this will be enough light for plants)

EHEIM Classic 2215 External Canister

I'm trying to work out in my mind a suitable structure to bed in the substrate. very likely a stacked rock structure that will raise above a planted soil bottom, perhaps some kind of hair grass in the lower slope with taller plants around the rocks and higher up. of course i would like an aesthetically please scape. so far all my substrate and rocks are black to contrast a vibrant green planting.

of course the shrimp will come last. juveniles i'm told are the best for transporting and start well. i reckon i could use about 20

still waiting for some supplies to arrive.

i have read the very basic and fishless cycle writeups.

And although i'm a bit confused reckon i need to do my planted bowl setup in one go. in one day i shall sculpt my plant/scape: that is put down a layer of small lava rock upon which i will mount my structure rocks. beneath this sub-substrate i will also sprinkle a little osmocote. next i will add the azoo ground bed and upon that add the azoo shrimp sand. finally i will insert my plants then carefully fill the bowl with tap water. add prime and engage my eheim 2215 canister filter. turn on lights during the day and hope for the best.

i hope someone here who has setup planted aquariums can suggest some plants and where i may purchase them online.

actually any information about such a project would be welcome as i am a novice at best.

i will if it is welcomed post pictures of my progress.

cheers!

tws
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: newbie with bowl...

Post by Mustafa »

Good luck with your setup. That bowl must be huge if it holds 24 gallons...doesn't look that big in the picture. The only drawback to not being able to look into a container from the sides is that shrimp are very good at hiding, so you may not see your shrimp all that often in there, especially when they are young (and tiny).