Looking for opinions on substrate options.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

MongooseDog
Egg
Egg

Looking for opinions on substrate options.

Post by MongooseDog »

I'm planning on setting up a 5 gallon aquarium for some red cherry shrimp and I was hoping to hear from anyone who may have used the Fluval Ebi Shrimp Stratum and or the Red Sea Florabase. I've read a lot of negative opinions on the Florabase but I've been using it exclusively for some time now and have had nothing but a good experience. Either way I would need to purchase a new bag for the 5 gallon. So has anyone had experience with RCS on either of these substrates?
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Re: Looking for opinions on substrate options.

Post by harikrishna »

i have bought a bag of those to and am new to this hobby and now am hearing the same thing hopefully its not true and am planning to start with snowball or yellow shrimps
link81
Egg
Egg

Post by link81 »

i've herd good things about it, but i've never used it personally. All i have ever used in my freshwater tanks is backyard sand. Literally Dig it up out of the back yard, give it a good rinse and ready to go.
davrx
Egg
Egg

Post by davrx »

I've used the Fluval Ebi Shrimp Stratum with Sakura, OEBT's, and neon green shrimp with no problems. I'm currently using CaribSea's Instant Aquarium Freshwater Substrate Sunset Gold Sand in my Sulawesi tank that houses Cardinals and Starry Nights. I'm also using it in a new setup for Opae Ulas. It's inert and looks nice.