Opae Ula Color Variation

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

PixieShrimp
Egg
Egg

Opae Ula Color Variation

Post by PixieShrimp »

Hey everyone!

I'm still ambitioning to breed these little guys here in Japan, at the moment i'm still planning a setup and trying to get a nice breeding group together first. A few of mine are still quite tiny.

Back on topic, has anyone come across coloration differences in Opae Ula? For example Pink and White? I know they change color when they are stressed but I may have come across a white one! Assuming he doesn't red-up later. I'll still love him either way, but the possibility of white Opae Ula is very exiting to me!

Mustafa - have you come across consistently white shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Opae Ula Color Variation

Post by Mustafa »

I'm glad you're still trying. :) Yes, I have come across white ones with greenish eggs in their ovaries (instead of brown). There are some that look more pinkish, but I am not sure if that is just a mood thing. The coloration on these shrimp can vary dramatically depending on their mood, well-being and also the kind of food they happen to be munching on.
PixieShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by PixieShrimp »

Oh how fascinating!!

I would love to put together a tank of white shrimp and see how it goes, in addition to a regular breeding tank. Would be something to have an aquarium of mini white shrimp!

I would love to order some shrimp from you to help build up a healthy breeding colony, especially if you wouldn't mind sending me some white ones! But I have no clue about Japanese customs and regulations regarding having these shrimp sent here. Since I am not a citizen here, I'm trying to avoid breaking laws (as I always do of course!), especially because at this point living here is a privilege.

What do you think? Have you sent any shrimp to Japan yet?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I don't think there would be problems sending to Japan. I've sent shrimp to Japan and they arrived just fine. Unfortunately, I can't really promise to send you white ones as I have only seen them randomly here and there. I could not even tell you in which tank there are some white ones right now. Same with the "pink" ones. With tens of thousands of shrimp it's hard to keep track of individual shrimp. :)
PixieShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by PixieShrimp »

It's okay, I understand! I couldent expect you to pick out white ones from huge groups, would be quite a daunting task! But I figured it couldent hurt to ask. I still need to get my starter breeding setup ready, but when I can make an order I'll just keep my fingers crossed my lot has a few white ones in there. :roll: I'll also be keeping an eye out for white ones here in Japan. They're just too cool! I'm so glad you can send to Japan, I definitely would love some captive bred shrimp to kick off my breeding project when I'm ready for them. I think I have a good plan, I just need to get it together.