New Setup for Halocaridina rubra

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

davrx
Egg
Egg

Re: New Setup for Halocaridina rubra

Post by davrx »

O.K. Share time. I've had the bowl set up with Mustafa's chaetomorpha with a 50W titanium heater and sunlight from an east facing window. I bought 60 Opae Ula's from a member of the planted tank forum and as far as I know none have died. I removed 12 of these and transferred them to an identical bowl in my wife's 8th. grade science classroom. I set up the same heater and an 6700K LED light on a timer since her window doesn't get much light. Everything is the same as far as sand, rocks, and water between the two bowls. As far as I know all 12 are still alive. Her students love them and even the janitors all had to come in to see them. She was initially not happy with the heater and light as it wasn't as simple a set up as I had originally told her but the school cuts the heat back when there's no students in attendance and I thought the temperature fluctuations would be detrimental to them. The lack of enough sunlight would have most likely prevented the chaetomorpha from surviving and growing. BTW, I took the amount Mustafa sold me and split it 3 ways, equal portions for my bowl, my wife's, and my daughter's in Maine. She also has the same bowl, sand, water, rocks but no heater but I think she keeps her place warmer than either of the other two locations. Anyway here's photos I took of my bowl a couple of weeks ago.
Well, not sure how to post my photos as I'm used to using my photobucket links and this forum has a limit on image size. Don't know how to resize on photobucket. Oh well, I tried.

I just fed them for the first time with some Ebi bitsu pellets for shrimp. They went insane, fighting each other over it and it looks like most of the bowl inhabitants are trying to get a bite.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for sharing! It would be great to see the pictures, though. Why don't you just post a picture link from photobucket? Or, you can just download "picasa" from google (http://www.google.com/picasa) and resize your pictures before uploading them here.
It's not that hard to figure out, and once you know how to do it it only takes seconds to resize. If you upload the pictures, future visitors to the forums will be able to see them years from now whereas most links to sites like photobucket don't work anymore after some time as pictures there get deleted or moved around.
davrx
Egg
Egg

Post by davrx »

I did try photobucket but don't see anyway of resizing on there. I can try to upload photos but you can't upload very many on forums without using links like with photobucket.