New here...

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

New here...

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

I'm new here, have a zoo of shrimp from Cherries (and many of their varieties), to Crystals (and many of their varieties as well). Have tigers, blueberries, just about every one of them. No Sulawesi Shrimp yet, but I will one day, I hope!

My newest shrimp are the Opae Ula. It seems they may become my favorites! They're very interesting to watch, the way the walk and swim, the way their rather large eating "hands" move as they eat, the way they all congregate in one place under a certain piece of live rock when they feel threatened. Amazing critters!

I am hoping to find a source for low light growing plants or algae that are compatible with the brackish conditions. I keep my tank at about SG 1.014. I'm rather used to having something green in my shrimp tanks to help reduce nitrates...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
PixieShrimp
Egg
Egg

Re: New here...

Post by PixieShrimp »

Welcome!

I'm relatively new to Opae Ula myself, I've had a tiny group for about two years though. And I'm working on taking the leap towards breeding them!

To answer your question about plants. I think if your shrimp are adjusted to a slightly lower salinity, your options are a bit more open to freshwater plants. Same if they are adjusted a bit higher, you could add macro algae. I think the saltwater I've been buying (sold for these shrimp) is a lower salinity, and I've had luck with marimo (Japanese moss balls). I have also discovered what could be a marine hair grass in one of my new shrimp jars, but I haven't identified it yet. I am planning to test out java moss and maybe anacharis.

I have noticed the marimo haven't grown in about two years, but they haven't shrunk either, and seem healthy. I think it's either the salt, lighting...or maybe just the shrimp keeping them in good shape!

Hope this helps!
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp

Thanks for that, Pixie. Wish there were brackish Caulerpa. I had several types in my marine aquaria back in the '80's. Many were very attractive, and all very fast growing, sucking up nitrates.
PixieShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by PixieShrimp »

I love caulerpa! It kind of sparked from my back-burner dream of Seahorse rearing and captive breeding. But that story is a bit off topic for here. ^_^

If you can source some caulerpa, you could try it in brackish. My gut says it actually might work, especially if the salt percentage is at least 50%. But I haven't sourced any caulerpa in Japan yet to test it out myself. But if I had some you could bet ill try it, especially since I think one of my little shrimp jars has some kind of marine hair algae. I'm pretty sure the pre-mixed brackish water I've been using is on the lower end of the salt percentages too!

I'm trying to remember, but to my knowledge caulerpa and macro algae in general need strong lighting. Is that right?
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp

Hi again, Pixie!

I had caulerpa in a 45 gal marine tank (before the fancy filtration systems of today). It grew like a weed under 4 fluorescent tubes. I believe I used two cool white and two warm white tubes, 40 watts each. I'm thinking it would be okay under less light, though!

My Opae Ula had a mass molt today. When I checked them this afternoon there were at least 6 sets of "clothing" sitting next to each other on the same piece of live rock.

Seems these shrimp even change clothes in each others company!!!

:)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'd just drop the idea of having freshwater plants in Supershrimp tanks. Here are some links to other threads where I talked about it in a little more detail. Some plants just stay green for a long time in Supershrimp level brackish water but they are actually dying (e.g. Java Moss, possibly even your marimo ball).

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3849&p=31097&hilit ... pha#p31097

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3854&p=31121&hilit ... pha#p31121

PixieShrimp wrote: To answer your question about plants. I think if your shrimp are adjusted to a slightly lower salinity, your options are a bit more open to freshwater plants. Same if they are adjusted a bit higher, you could add macro algae. I think the saltwater I've been buying (sold for these shrimp) is a lower salinity, and I've had luck with marimo (Japanese moss balls). I have also discovered what could be a marine hair grass in one of my new shrimp jars, but I haven't identified it yet. I am planning to test out java moss and maybe anacharis.

I have noticed the marimo haven't grown in about two years, but they haven't shrunk either, and seem healthy. I think it's either the salt, lighting...or maybe just the shrimp keeping them in good shape!

Hope this helps!
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp

Getting some Chaeto... Gonna look nice in this little tank of mine... if I knew how to reduce the pic file size, I'd post a pic of two of it!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Rob in Puyallup wrote:Getting some Chaeto... Gonna look nice in this little tank of mine... if I knew how to reduce the pic file size, I'd post a pic of two of it!
It would be great to see some pictures. As for reducing picture size...read my post in the following thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3849&start=15