My new wall tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dan d
Larva
Larva

My new wall tank

Post by dan d »

Hello, long time member (member since 2008) first time poster !

I set up a wall tank & have been fighting it since setup, it is about 24 inches long X 12 inches tall x 4 inches front to back. I have had fish tanks (both fresh & saltwater reef tanks) for over 40 years (yes I'm an ole man) & this one is my ultimate dream as it is on display as a centerpiece in my living room & lights up beautifully in the evening !

I did a fish less cycle using pure ammonia, tried some endlers & fought constant ammonia swings ! It is not the easiest tank to do water changes on, don't get me wrong, it is a nice setup, but daily (or twice daily) water changes fighting ammonia swings was not fun. It only holds 3 or so gallons of water so you just get the siphon going & you have to quit.

Anyways, I moved out the endlers & want it to be a low maintenance cherry shrimp tank. Now is were the questions start. Do I need to have a filter or airstone ? I have a very small filter in there now but it is a pain to get to clean, I'm afraid an airstone will cause water to splash (acumulate) on the wall & cause issues :oops: I will keep the small filter/powerhead if I need to, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to. I plan to have six cherry shrimp in there (3 gallon tank) I could easily do weekly water changes as I was doing them daily when I had fish in there. I also have some anubias nana petite in there as the pic below shows. I left the algae on the back wall for the shrimp to munch on :oops:

Dan
Last edited by dan d on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dan d
Larva
Larva

Re: Looking for new tank advice

Post by dan d »

Hmmmmm.............. After a lot of catching up on reading here I think I found the answer to my question above & just ordered some super shrimp !

No filter ? No air bubbler ? No water changes ! Hard to believe, but sounds perfect. I must admit I'm nervous as I'm old school & if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't :wink: the only downfall is they are kinda small at 1/2 inch, I have seen the enclosed glass ball years back & thought it was a gimmick.

I look forward to receiving my super shrimp ! Back to studying these super shrimp !

Dan

Edit: how long does it take to get delivery of super shrimp ? I'm bored tonight (can't sleep) & I think I'm going to remove the cherry shrimp to another tank & convert this over to saltwater (brackish) tonight. I have the perfect piece of branch coral rock from my reef tank & RO water / instant ocean mix to get this tank going. I'm pretty excited about this !
dan d
Larva
Larva

Post by dan d »

Well I switched my tank over to brackish saltwater, I have it dialed in at 1.014, ordered some super shrimp here. I just received my tracking number from Mustafa. :D

My tank is still a little cloudy from the crushed coral substrate, my local fish store had some plant growing on a piece of live rock that I sweet talked them into selling to me for $5 :D don't know if it will live or not in the lower salt concentration but for $5 I will give it a try, plus it come from an established tank so it is bringing in some good bacteria to my sterol tank (at least I hope it's the good bacteria :roll: )

Maybe tomorrow I will siphon off the dust in the tank.

Dan

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum! I have moved your thread from the general shrimp forum to the Supershrimp forum, as that one seems to be the more appropriate home for your thread. Your shrimp should arrive there in about 2-3 days. Just dump the shrimp with the water (which contains beneficial bacteria) into your tank. Put the Supershrimp Macroalga in there, and then just leave them alone. :) Don't do anything...don't even siphon the coral dust in your tank...things will clear up on their own after a while. The less you mess with the tank, the better.

In any case, yes, most things that sound too good to be true are actually too good to be true. That implies that *some* very rare things are actually as good as they sound. And this is one of those rare cases. :D Yep, no water changes, no heater (in room temperature), no filter...lives 20+ years, breeds in the same tank...really the perfect pet. As you noticed, the only thing that could be better is their size, but that problem is resolved by just putting lots of them in a tank. Numbers can make up for size...plus, when they are fully grown, they can be as large as your average red cherry shrimp.

In any case, I am looking forward to your future updates.
dan d wrote:
No filter ? No air bubbler ? No water changes ! Hard to believe, but sounds perfect. I must admit I'm nervous as I'm old school & if it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't :wink: the only downfall is they are kinda small at 1/2 inch, I have seen the enclosed glass ball years back & thought it was a gimmick.

I look forward to receiving my super shrimp ! Back to studying these super shrimp !

Dan
dan d
Larva
Larva

Post by dan d »

Thanks for the welcome !

I do agree that the super shrimp forum is the place for this post, but as you can tell when I first posted I didn't even know what super shrimp were :wink: I will post updates !

Doing maintenance is a little difficult on this type of tank, I think super shrimp are perfect for this tank ! I'm thinking a few seashells might help the bare look I have right now, along with some Macroalga. The Macroalga along with the shrimp water should add some needed beneficial bacteria. This tank is in my living room and will be a focal point where everyone will be able to see it.

Dan
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Dan nice to have you here. Nice frame around the tank. Makes a nice focal point. Adding plenty of shrimp over time will add plenty of interest.
dan d
Larva
Larva

Post by dan d »

COTIGIRL wrote:Dan nice to have you here. Nice frame around the tank. Makes a nice focal point. Adding plenty of shrimp over time will add plenty of interest.
Thanks !

I recieved my super shrimp today :D Mustafa got them out to me in 3 days :D

They are getting acclimated using the drip method as I type this :D

Dan
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update, Dan. Keep reporting back with more updates! :D
dan d
Larva
Larva

Post by dan d »

Mustafa wrote:Thanks for the update, Dan. Keep reporting back with more updates! :D
Well........ The latest update is I liked the supershrimp so much I just ordered more from you a few minutes ago :D

I tend to get bored on the weekends (especially in the winter months) I found a nice piece of live rock from my old saltwater reef days. I am starting to get the look I want out of my wall tank, I need to do something with the wad of Chaeto algae In there. Maybe once the tanks more established I will take it right out.
Dan

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: My new wall tank

Post by Mustafa »

Hey Dan,

That coral rock looks great! :)