Pregnant ghost shrimp!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

ScampiCocktail
Egg
Egg

Pregnant ghost shrimp!

Post by ScampiCocktail »

My otocat who was in charge of cleaning my bettas tank recently passed away so instead of getting another my friend gave me one of her 4 ghost shrimp. My betta payed no mind to him. He seemed Lonley so I asked my mom to go get him a friend. She returned with to large females heavily fat with little green eggs.
Ive actually been saving up to make a crystal red cherry shrimp tank. Fluval chi and substrate is all I have do far. But I'm no where near having everything needed to start breeding. And i don't really have the money to run out and buy it all! I was planning on collecting little by little. I'm freaking out I don't want the babies to die!
I need to know ASAP how to keep them alive... I read once about a breeding box. How can I make a cheap homemade one. And I have like no live plants at the moment. Just a moss ball. So any veggies I could use instead? What do the fri need? What do the mammas need??
I Found an extra large tuppa wear bowl. About 3 gallons I'm guessing and pEut some water in it. I also put one of the reptile lamps I got from a neighbor who owns turtles. And found a thermometer. So I can keep them at 80 degrees f. I read that's what it should be. Am I wrong? I put Some decorative rocks In there for hiding and a moss ball. That's all I got... The pet stores don't sell java moss or anything like that... And for the momma shrimp to eat I got betta and goldfish food. Also my otocats leftover algea wafers... I really don't have much but I'm trying. My grandmas also going to give me panti hoes or whatever their called to put over the filter and I'll find a sponge.... Am I missing anything???

Anything else I can throw in there ex. veggies?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Pregnant ghost shrimp!

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately, your shrimp larvae will get eaten by the Betta no matter what you do. Larvae float around in the water column, and Bettas will just pick them off one by one within minutes. The best thing to do is to get a separate 10 gallon tank for the shrimp (under $20).
Luis
Egg
Egg

Post by Luis »

ScampiCocktail wrote:My otocat who was in charge of cleaning my bettas tank recently passed away so instead of getting another my friend gave me one of her 4 ghost shrimp. My betta payed no mind to him. He seemed Lonley so I asked my mom to go get him a friend. She returned with to large females heavily fat with little green eggs.
Ive actually been saving up to make a crystal red cherry shrimp tank. Fluval chi and substrate is all I have do far. But I'm no where near having everything needed to start breeding. And i don't really have the money to run out and buy it all! I was planning on collecting little by little. I'm freaking out I don't want the babies to die!
I need to know ASAP how to keep them alive... I read once about a breeding box. How can I make a cheap homemade one. And I have like no live plants at the moment. Just a moss ball. So any veggies I could use instead? What do the fri need? What do the mammas need??
I Found an extra large tuppa wear bowl. About 3 gallons I'm guessing and pEut some water in it. I also put one of the reptile lamps I got from a neighbor who owns turtles. And found a thermometer. So I can keep them at 80 degrees f. I read that's what it should be. Am I wrong? I put Some decorative rocks In there for hiding and a moss ball. That's all I got... The pet stores don't sell java moss or anything like that... And for the momma shrimp to eat I got betta and goldfish food. Also my otocats leftover algea wafers... I really don't have much but I'm trying. My grandmas also going to give me panti hoes or whatever their called to put over the filter and I'll find a sponge.... Am I missing anything???

Anything else I can throw in there ex. veggies?

I keep ghost shrimp and a zillion scuds, daphnia,etc in this perpetual green water outside all year long and even though this only gets indirect sun it gets hot roughly 7 months a year and that is when they breed like crazy.

http://imageshack.us/f/594/ghostshrimp.jpg/

The bottom is a layer of leaves and some pieces of driftwood

I have never been able to raise the tiny shrimp with anything with a filter but read sponge filters work great.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Luis wrote: I keep ghost shrimp and a zillion scuds, daphnia,etc in this perpetual green water outside all year long and even though this only gets indirect sun it gets hot roughly 7 months a year and that is when they breed like crazy.

http://imageshack.us/f/594/ghostshrimp.jpg/

The bottom is a layer of leaves and some pieces of driftwood

I have never been able to raise the tiny shrimp with anything with a filter but read sponge filters work great.
That's a great setup for glass/ghost shrimp. You probably have Palaemonetes paludosus (as opposed to P. kadiakensis, which is pretty much impossible to find unless you live where they occur and catch them yourself), so the larvae don't even need to feed during their development (although they can). I'm sure, though, that in your setup they find plenty of food during their larval stages. The problem with most filters is that they suck up shrimp larvae (and baby shrimp). That's not the case with sponge filters, of course. I have raised (and still am raising) many P. paludosus in a simple aquarium setup with a sponge filter. I'm about to do the same with P. kadiakensis (whose larvae do need food) as I have gotten my hands on a breeding group. Despite the fact that most Palaemonetes species are not as colorful as many other shrimp in the hobby, they are one of my favorite shrimp families. They are just a ton of fun to watch as they roam around the tank investigating various food sources and interacting with each other. It's funny how "excited" they get when they smell food in the tank...buzzing around the tank at high speed to look for it (and even dragging the food to a secure location, away from other shrimp, to eat it).