How do you get microorganisms & other stuff

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

How do you get microorganisms & other stuff

Post by Harry »

I am setting up two 1/2 gallon containers for Supershrimp. I currently have a small freshwater tank for shrimp and find it easy to maintain. So now I am trying my hand at brackish water Supershrimp. I have prepared my containers with 1/2 strength marine salt, gravel and lava rock. The rocks have been boiled, so everything is new and clean. But I understand that Supershrimp eat the various microorganisms in the water, in addition to algae and any food I might add sparingly. But since I started with distilled water, how will I get those microorganisms? Will they be in the water that Petshrimp ships the shrimp in? Also, I have ordered microalgae but would like to have some other plants as well, if anyone has suggestions. The ecospheres have this lattice of Gorgonia that is really beautiful and adds calcium as well. Anybody know where I can get that?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: How do you get microorganisms & other stuff

Post by Mustafa »

Hello Harry,

Yes, the water the shrimp are shipped in will have more than enough microorganisms to seed your tank. So will the Supershrimp Macroalgae. The shrimp themselves actually also carry microorganisms (good bacteria, algae, algae spores etc.) both on their bodies and in their guts. Even the air around you has bacterial, algal and fungal spores, so even if you did nothing to your tank, it would start growing algae and other things at some point..it may just take a little longer than seeding the tank immediately.

As for other plants, there really aren't any other plants that grow in that kind of environment (no matter what "brackish water tolerant" freshwater plants other sites mention). The salinity is just too high for freshwater plants, and too low for most other ocean macroalgae. If there are any other species of macroalgae that can thrive in such high salinity brackish conditions, you'll first learn about it here.

As for the coral skeletons in those spheres...they are obviously harvested from nature. I'm not sure how sustainable that is, but you may find those in touristy knick knack stores that also sell decorative sea shells. It'll probably cost a lot. If I find a sustainable source for them (only beach collected dead corals, instead of killing live ones and selling their skeletons), I'll offer them on this website, too.