Proper Water Measurement Questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Moonspeckle
Egg
Egg

Proper Water Measurement Questions

Post by Moonspeckle »

I've looked around a bit for the proper water variables on here, but can't seem to find all of them :oops:

I have my tank set up (and once I obtain funds, plan to buy some algae from here) and I just obtained the test strips for Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Carbonate Hardness, General Hardness and Ammonia and here are the results I got back:

Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
pH- 7.0
Carbonate Hardness- 180
General Hardness- 180
Ammonia- 0

My question is about the Carbonate and General Hardnesses. On the test strip levels, they are really high measurements, is this supposed to happen in this type of tank? Are these levels safe for Opae Ula?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Proper Water Measurement Questions

Post by Mustafa »

As I have indicated in various posts here already, you really do not have to worry *at all* about water parameters. GH or KH are completely irrelevant if you set up the tank as I have described on this website. Having said that, though, your pH looks completely off. Did you actually use reef salt as described here (just making sure you actually set up a brackish water tank)? If you did, your pH should be hovering around 8...not 7.
Moonspeckle
Egg
Egg

Post by Moonspeckle »

I used a brand from my pet store called Instant Ocean, which is supposed to be for setting up a marine aquarium.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I use instant ocean at half strength with RO water and get Sg of 1.011 and pH of 8. One quarter cup per gallon. Check your pH again.
Moonspeckle
Egg
Egg

Post by Moonspeckle »

I checked again, the test strip says 7-7.5 ish
shmohney
Larva
Larva

Post by shmohney »

I'm having the same issue with pH in the tank I'm starting. Mixed Instant Ocean at half-strength with distilled water, and my hydrometer reads 1.012. But my pH is 7 to 7.5. I switched from black gravel to crushed coral, and added a bunch of crushed limestone rocks from my driveway gravel, having scrubbed and then boiled the rocks first. Added the limestone to one corner for possible future breeding habitat. But several days have gone by and I've seen no increase in the pH (shooting for 8.0). So do I need to find a product at the pet store that will increase the pH?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

@Moonspeckle

Test strips are the most unreliable method of measuring pH. You're more likely to get wrong readings than right ones. Even the simplest liquid drop tests are much better. Having said that, even if your pH were in the 7 to 7.5 range...what's the problem? I have indicated in various places that as long as the pH is alkaline (i.e. over 7) the shrimp will be just fine.

@shmohney

You're probably using test strips, too, right? Don't go out there and buy anything. Your pH is just fine and you do not need to shoot for any target pH. Just don't worry about it.