Does everyone feed their shrimp daily

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Luis
Egg
Egg

Does everyone feed their shrimp daily

Post by Luis »

Hello
Not long ago I purchased some Malawa Shrimp and Caridina sulawesi from petshrimp store in this forum. The shrimps are growing leaps and bounds . I feed daily either a hikari cichlid gold pellet (they love it) or algae sinking pellet.

I read that they will eat micro algae off plant leaves and best fed every other day ?

What temps does everyone who keeps them breed them at ? Both shrimp types are in seperate planted tanks if that helps.

Thanks
mrshrimpy
Egg
Egg

Re: Does everyone feed their shrimp daily

Post by mrshrimpy »

I have Neos and Ammano and feed 2 maybe 3 times a week and keep the tank at room temp 70 deg. I keep a small 25w heater in my 5g to maintain since I noticed the temp would fluctuate because home heat is only on while we are here. My other tanks 20g up to 70 have no heat and stay at 70.
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

Hi there Luis
am kinda new to the hobby as well and I've only been keep keeping shrimps for 3 month now and they are red cherry shrimps. I decided to feed them only twice a week after so many researches online. I started with 21 and now am at 40+
I've read that they need time off food so they can feast on algae. And also it will clean your glass and plants and also gravels.
My tank had an "algae bloom" because I was feeding them daily and since I changed their feeding time to only twice a week, the algae is gone off the plants and gravels:P
Good Luck :P
Luis
Egg
Egg

Post by Luis »

mrshrimpy wrote:I have Neos and Ammano and feed 2 maybe 3 times a week and keep the tank at room temp 70 deg. I keep a small 25w heater in my 5g to maintain since I noticed the temp would fluctuate because home heat is only on while we are here. My other tanks 20g up to 70 have no heat and stay at 70.

Are your shrimps thriving and breeding at such cool temps?

I am going to start feeding every other day as the shrimps gorge themselves on the cichlid pellets but also want them to clean algae off leaves.

Thanks
Luis
Egg
Egg

Post by Luis »

harikrishna wrote:Hi there Luis
am kinda new to the hobby as well and I've only been keep keeping shrimps for 3 month now and they are red cherry shrimps. I decided to feed them only twice a week after so many researches online. I started with 21 and now am at 40+
I've read that they need time off food so they can feast on algae. And also it will clean your glass and plants and also gravels.
My tank had an "algae bloom" because I was feeding them daily and since I changed their feeding time to only twice a week, the algae is gone off the plants and gravels:P
Good Luck :P

Thank you , going to feed the shrimp every other day. Cherry shrimp are going to be the next shrimp I get, I read out going and bold. The Caridina sulawesi I have with 6 endlers livebearers which also purchased from here and the shrimp show no fear and very bold and outgoing.

My tanks are also planted and though well lit, I do not use CO2 just weekly water changes and I keep a seachem purigen (100ml) or polyfilter pad in all my filters and change them every 4 months.

Thankfully the water here is fantastic as far as no phosphates but high ph thus some shrimp are out of the question.
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

wow seems like you are step ahead of me. How hard are the malawa and Caridina sulawesi to care of? mind me asking for your water parameters? thank you in advance:) And do you know if they are harder than cherry shrimps?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

harikrishna wrote:wow seems like you are step ahead of me. How hard are the malawa and Caridina sulawesi to care of? mind me asking for your water parameters? thank you in advance:) And do you know if they are harder than cherry shrimps?
The Malawa shirmp and C. sulawesi are some of the most prolific and adjustable shrimp out there. They are an ideal "first shrimp" just like the red cherry shrimp. As for feeding, usually less is more, especially if you see visible algae growth in your tank. I would definitely *not* recommend daily feedings in general.
Luis
Egg
Egg

Post by Luis »

harikrishna wrote:wow seems like you are step ahead of me. How hard are the malawa and Caridina sulawesi to care of? mind me asking for your water parameters? thank you in advance:) And do you know if they are harder than cherry shrimps?
The temp in both tanks is 76 degrees. My water is 8.0 ph. It is liquid rock, African cichlid water and yet in the area canals which are pure coral rock on both sides there are plenty of south/central American fish breeding.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Luis wrote: The temp in both tanks is 76 degrees. My water is 8.0 ph. It is liquid rock, African cichlid water and yet in the area canals which are pure coral rock on both sides there are plenty of south/central American fish breeding.
Your tap water might be 8.0, but I doubt your actual tank water is at that pH. I have much harder water here in San Diego than most of the country, but due to nitrification and other biological processes the water in aged tanks is always *much* lower than my tap water. Same applies to the canals, by the way. Even if they are coral rock it does not necessarily mean that the pH of the water is 8 or over. Coral rock does not dissolve all that readily at pH levels above 7, so it's entirely conceivable (and likely) that the canals have coral rock in them but their pH is closer to 7 than to 8. Also, ammonia is very short lived in nature due to huge water volumes and tons of ammonia starved bacteria, algae and higher plants everywhere. So, even at pH levels of 8+ ammonia toxicity is not a problem. In a fish tank, however, we create unnatural conditions due to the limited volume of water (and lack of sunlight..which is a huge factor), so even small amounts of ammonia can wreak havoc. That's why having lower pH levels in fish tanks is recommended...low pH = lower amounts of unionized ammonia.