Jumping Opae Ula

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Jumping Opae Ula

Post by LeShrimp »

I noticed recently that my supershrimp "jump" when they touch certain surfaces as if they got scared? I am not really sure why they do this does anybody know why?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Jumping Opae Ula

Post by KenCotigirl »

Hello. Opae swim by using their pleopods or swimmerets. These are the five pair of legs found in the abdomin. the female holds the eggs here also. This is the graceful swimming you normally see. The jumping or popcorning is more escape response. The opae use their strong tail muscle and appear to almost convulse. Once the Opae have settled down you should rarely see this.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

COTIGIRL wrote:Hello. Opae swim by using their pleopods or swimmerets. These are the five pair of legs found in the abdomin. the female holds the eggs here also. This is the graceful swimming you normally see. The jumping or popcorning is more escape response. The opae use their strong tail muscle and appear to almost convulse. Once the Opae have settled down you should rarely see this.
Ok, thanks for the help really appreciate it :)
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Also, just wondering if they are "pop-corning" from only certain objects is their a problem with the object?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

You are over thinking this. Your picture in another post shows how well they are doing. Bright red and active. Worry when they lose color and stop moving. Your rock is like what I have. I like the nooks and crannys. Take a deep breath and relax. These shrimp are similar to cactus. Benign neglect wins. You can kill them with love.