Confusion. Please help

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Confusion. Please help

Post by ShrimpGuy »

I'm wanting to start a small SuperShrimp tank, but have some questions first.

I think I have most info figured out but still confused.

I'm not sure about the type of snail everyone is adding to their supershrimp tanks? So... what kind and where are you getting them, as I see no snails available on this site.

What type of plant is being used. I read there they finally found a suitable plant for the brackish water. Also... I'm confused by the use of Macroalgae Microalgae? is that whats being used for plant life? Whats the diff between Micro and Macro? Which is being used.

Where are you all getting this plant???

So when setting up a new tank, there's no filter, no current, no heater, no water changes..... so what keeps your tank from getting stagnate and smelly?

Thanks so much for your help, and look forward to getting started soon!
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Re: Confusion. Please help

Post by ShrimpGuy »

I'm sorry. I see the snails and macroalgae available on the site now. Not sure why I didn't see before, but I'd still like to know the answers to my other questions.

Especially.... what about stagnate and smelly water?

Also... What are you guys using to buffer the water? Could a few drops of liquid calcium (for marine tanks) be used when adding RO water to top off evaporation?
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

To buffer I added crushed egg-shells into the substrate and have a few pieces of dead coral, including a birds nest coral and some gorgonias/sea fan. I also purchased the macroalgae to help with toxin levels.

When I first set up my bowl, there was a kind of briney/dirty ocean water smell. That seemed to have been the bacteria settling, as now after just over 2 months there's no smell at all. It leads me to believe I probably should've placed the chaeto and everything in there first and left it alone for a month or two before adding any shrimp. As it was I only let the bowl cycle for a week before I put in my ecosphere shrimp, of which I lost one after I added the coral. Then when I got about 16 more from the site it was a week or two later and I lost another, possibly from overfeeding.

I think as long as nothing's dying/rotting in there it won't smell once the environment balances out.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I stopped using my sponge filter and have no issues with odor. I believe this is because as Mustafa has said do not over feed. Feed every two weeks. Over feeding seems to be the root of all evil.

No need to buffer the evaporation replacement water. I use RO water. My pH has stayed pretty constant at 8 for the last several years.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

Ok. Thanks to both of you for the info.

I have my little 2.5 gal tank all set up. I do have the filter going but only til my shrimp arrive. I ordered Microalgae and Snails as well. It has a fine sand in the bottom and a 50/50 light. I have the salinity at 1.012

I wasn't able to find calcium rocks but did find something called Reef Rock. I hope this is ok? The package says:

Real Fossilized Coral Rock

Environmentally responsible, collected on land from ancient reef deposits.

Helps maintain pH

Encourages the growth of water purifying bacteria.

Perfect substrate for coral and Coralline algae growth.

Clean and pure, not chemical or bleach treated.

What do you think? Would love to hear from Mustafa on this as well.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Sounds good.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Where did you find the reef rock? I'd like to get some.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

Harry wrote:Where did you find the reef rock? I'd like to get some.
I got it at Petsmart. It was about $9.99 for 6 pieces about the size of a baseball (different odd shapes). It was enough to build a reef in my small tank.