Where have they gone?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Where have they gone?

Post by Harry »

It's possible they are hiding from that light. Maybe just try a regular desk lamp for a day and see what happens. They have small eyes and are typically down at the bottom of ponds. I suspect they use their long "antennae" for navigation, as their eyes are so small. So maybe that light is too bright for them. Or maybe it's the wrong color temperature.
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

Two of my Opae Ula tanks have 50/50 fluorescents over them. Makes for bright light with a bluish tint. The shrimp are constantly busy in both tanks, swimming and picking.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

ShrimpGuy wrote:
Harry wrote:You might try checking at night when the light is out. Sometimes I see my Opae out and active at night.

I have never done that, but I do notice they seem to be more active when the lights first click on in the morning. Do you think my lighting has something to do with them hiding? I use a 6 inch - 10 watt - 50/50 (Blue/White) Mini Compact Florescent, and it's a 2.5 gallon tank.

Well there goes that theory :lol:
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Do not get discouraged. I started a new 1.25 gallon tank the middle of January 2013 with about 25 juvenile shrimp. Their activity had been quite low. This past week I have noticed a marked improvement in them. Plenty of swimming. I have only fed them once since I put them into the tank. There was plenty of algae growth. They are about half grown now.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

The hypothesis about the lights is still valid until you test it and prove otherwise. Every tank is different. Rob's lights may be dimmer for many reasons or higher above the substrate. Maybe his are a different wattage. Why not turn off your lights for a few hours and use a desk lamp or daylight. See if it makes a difference. Maybe it won't, and then you can rule out the lights.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

Harry wrote:The hypothesis about the lights is still valid until you test it and prove otherwise. Every tank is different. Rob's lights may be dimmer for many reasons or higher above the substrate. Maybe his are a different wattage. Why not turn off your lights for a few hours and use a desk lamp or daylight. See if it makes a difference. Maybe it won't, and then you can rule out the lights.
True, I'll give it a try.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I also don't think that the light is the problem, but you can give it a try and report back. I still think you should just leave the tank alone. I know it's hard. :-D But it will be rewarding to walk over one day and see activity increase to a level that your shrimp come out and are in the open every day.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

ShrimpGuy wrote:
Harry wrote:The hypothesis about the lights is still valid until you test it and prove otherwise. Every tank is different. Rob's lights may be dimmer for many reasons or higher above the substrate. Maybe his are a different wattage. Why not turn off your lights for a few hours and use a desk lamp or daylight. See if it makes a difference. Maybe it won't, and then you can rule out the lights.
True, I'll give it a try.

I kept the lights out most of the day. Still nothing. What's interesting is, when I turned the lights back on this evening. Quite a few appeared. I seem to see most when the lights come on in the morning and again starting around 6/7pm. Then they disappear again. I will check with a flashlight tonight and see what happens.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

Mustafa wrote:I also don't think that the light is the problem, but you can give it a try and report back. I still think you should just leave the tank alone. I know it's hard. :-D But it will be rewarding to walk over one day and see activity increase to a level that your shrimp come out and are in the open every day.

I agree... I don't think it's lighting. And YES, it's very hard to leave the tank alone. I want to feed so bad! I want to do a water change! I want to knock on the glass and yell at them to WAKE UP! LOL

I have noticed a few are starting to color up. That's a good sigh, right?

I know patience is a virtue, so I'll keep on waiting.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Now that the lighting issue is ruled out, I would just wait as Mustafa says. One of my tanks was filled with very shy Opae and one day they just came out. I guess it's just an acclimation thing.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

I'm very excited. I came home from work tonight to find a total of 12 out of 30 opae's out in the open (mostly on the substrate). I've been home about an hour and only see about 5 or 6 on the rocks and none on the substrate. Anyway.... it's better than zero, so I'm very excited about it :D Just thought I'd mention it. I sure hope it continues and only gets better.
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

Congrats on that, Greg!

It's a whole lot more fun seeing movement in our tanks, isn't it?!

:)
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

Rob in Puyallup wrote:Congrats on that, Greg!

It's a whole lot more fun seeing movement in our tanks, isn't it?!

:)

Thanks Rob! It sure is!
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

Your patience has been rewarded. 12 out of 30 is pretty good. I don't think you ever get to see them all. I suspect they are coming out to graze on the various tank surfaces. So you have gotten past step one. I think the next milestone is when they reproduce.
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

Weird... they still seem to come out at certain times. Busiest time seems to be early evening. Like when I come home from work at 7. By the time I went to bed at midnight they were all hiding again. Even after lights went off at 9. This morning there were a few out and about, but now (10:15am) there's not a single one in sight. Really weird. Looks like it's going to be a slow process, but at least the process is starting.

I'm really looking forward to the time I get to see a berried female swim by :D