Tiny Organism specks

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Butter
Egg
Egg

Tiny Organism specks

Post by Butter »

This past weekend I had changed out my 2.5gal Do!Aqua aquarium with new fine grain sand and brackish water.
After 2 days I started noticing small specks dancing about erratically and thought it might have been some of the sand grains that were less dense than the water, so I didn't mind it as much.
I usually turn off my AZoo Palm filter every day for the opaes to run around and start feeding off the water surface. I noticed that the opae aren't as drawn to feed on the surface that much anymore.
With the filter off and the water calm, what I thought were harmless grains of sand were still swimming about. Upon closer inspection, they looked to be some type of microorganism. I know for a fact that they aren't water fleas (daphnia) because of the size of them. There are probably a couple hundred of them on the surface of the water and also some floating around. Is there a way to get rid of them? The sheer sight of seeing them swim about is making my skin crawl. Might they be the cause of my opaes not surface feeding?
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

Re: Tiny Organism specks

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

Probably copepods. If they are, I'm thinking they wouldn't scare the opae ula.
Butter
Egg
Egg

Post by Butter »

I'll try to take a video tonight. They look much smaller than copepods.
Butter
Egg
Egg

Post by Butter »

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Still copepods.