Shrimp has eggs. not sure what to do?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

stanleo
Egg
Egg

Shrimp has eggs. not sure what to do?

Post by stanleo »

Hi all,

I have a RCS tank that is bredding like crazy. But I also have a 29g community tank that has various fish and 3 shrimp that the my fish store called whisker shrimp. I can't find much info on these and some of the pics that I see are not what I have. So I am not sure if that is what this species is and I don't have the scientific name. One of these shrimp I just noticed today is berried which I find very exciting and I would like to keep as many of the babies alive as I can. Does anyone have any info on this species? Has anyone ever bred them? And, what is their life cycle? I have included a pic. Thanks in advance.

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Shrimp has eggs. not sure what to do?

Post by Mustafa »

That's a Macrobrachium lanchesteri. They produce free floating larvae (quite large ones) that need to be fed with things like brine shrimp nauplii for about a month before they turn into mini-shrimp. Of course this has to happen in a separate tank as the adults will gladly eat their larvae. There isn't much information on the web about these shrimp besides what you find here and a few other places. I have been meaning to put up a species page for them for a long time now, but never got around to it....it'll happen eventually.