I have a green Opae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

I have a green Opae?

Post by ShrimpGuy »

While I was trying to pics of a berried female I have, I came across something else......

While some of my supershrimps are different shades of red many are still white. I noticed how some dark areas behind theirs heads. Others don't.

Then what came swimming along? A bright green one! This picture just does not do it justice. I have to assume this is common and I've just never
seen it before?

Have you seen these? Wouldn't it be cool if we could get some brilliant glow in the dark green Opaes? ;)
Attachments
green.jpg
green.jpg (76.16 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: I have a green Opae?

Post by BostonJill »

Looks like the tomalley I saw in my lobster yesterday. I wonder if that's shrimp tomalley?
I have never seen that in my clear ones. I took your picture and tried to color correct the exposure in
Photoshop to get a better true picture of the little guy. Wow! That's bright green! Very cool!
Attachments
greenshrimp.jpg
greenshrimp.jpg (168.23 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
ShrimpGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpGuy »

Good job on clearing up my photo. Thanks!

It really is bright green. Wish you could see it in person. Awesome!
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

That shrimp is a keeper. Hopefully it is permanent and not a function of what it ate. I will take a dozen.

Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's not a green shrimp. It's a white shrimp with green eggs developing in its saddle. Either way, congrats on the white mutation! They occur once in a while...here and there. I still have not gotten around to gathering mine into a tank to selectively breed them...same applies to my yellow/orange ones..and whatever other mutation may happen to be out there in my tanks. If you have space, and get the hang of breeding your shrimp, you may want to set up a separate tank to selectively breed the white ones. With one shrimp it may take forever to get a pure line going, but hey...it's a challenge, right?