Can RCS get Mycos?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Can RCS get Mycos?

Post by Suzie Q »

I had Mycobacterium in my Show Bettas. My Shirmp may have been exposed through my water buckets. CAN shrimp carry Mycos?

I only have about 10 shrimp or so, and they haven't berried for some time now. Just wondering if they can get it.

I've destroyed all my betta and started over, so my fish room is clean. My shrimp are in my bedroom so they are QT right now.

I'm probably going to just nuke the shrimp tank and clean it...just wanting to know if they can get it.

Lori
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Can RCS get Mycos?

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Lori,

Usually, shrimp are unaffected by fish diseases. I have not seen or heard of a single incident that would indicate that shrimp got infected by fish pathogens. Having said that, there seem to be Mycobacteria that infect Macrobrachium spp. and some marine shrimp. However, I really doubt that those Mycobacteria are the same species/strains that infect fish...at least there are no studies confirming that. I wouldn't do anything to the shrimp.
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

Mustafa wrote:Hi Lori,

Usually, shrimp are unaffected by fish diseases. I have not seen or heard of a single incident that would indicate that shrimp got infected by fish pathogens. Having said that, there seem to be Mycobacteria that infect Macrobrachium spp. and some marine shrimp. However, I really doubt that those Mycobacteria are the same species/strains that infect fish...at least there are no studies confirming that. I wouldn't do anything to the shrimp.
THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!! (excited not yelling...well maybe excited yelling...lol).

Super excited!!!!!!!!

Thank you Mustafa!!!

Lori
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You're welcome. :)
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

They just got a "re-did" tank :D. Once it starts to grow in a bit, I'll post pix if that is ok :D

Lori
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, updates and pictures are always welcome!