Green live stone/coral

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Green live stone/coral

Post by SillyDaddy »

One of my friends loved my set up and so she ordered from another site unfortunately, but she ordered the nerites, shrimp, green stones, and food... I must tell you she has quite a large order and she is happy it seems, but I wonder about the stone being safely used in the tank. What are your thoughts?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Green live stone/coral

Post by Mustafa »

If you are talking about "green" coral rock...then you're probably talking about normal coral rock that has become green due to algae....no need to buy that. That will happen sooner or later in your tank anyway.
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

As I've posted elsewhere, I have live rock in two of my Opae Ula tanks. After eight months it appears to have been a good thing. The shrimp have been breeding successfully and are constantly very active in these tanks.
yoster
Egg
Egg

Post by yoster »

I have a couple different tanks now and the algae will definitely grow with a steady light source. In my original tank, there is an algae rock that is actually hairy looking with strands of algae growing off it like a spiky haired haircut. I also have very thin, light colored, hair looking algae that grows very fast in there. The shrimp hate it for some reason and will actually popcorn from it. The other algae grows on the regular white sand, which is light colored green, and not hairy, that look like tiny spots. The composition of the algae makes it look like there are three different types in there. That tank only has a few shrimp in there and sits on a window sill 24/7. My other tank is about 3 gallons with an artifical light. That originally had coralline algae on my various coral rocks with tiny purple specs spotted all over them. The coralline algae happened from Crystal Reef Aragonite live sand I used that, but this was supposed to be for saltwater aquariums. The green algae overtook it over time, and it seems like it is very dominant as it covers the rocks, sand, and walls now. I think it was the artificial light that made the tank look like a swamp originally, which replicated a tropical environment. That algae is different from the original tank as it is very dark and looks a bit slimy. It is starting to subside as I hardly ever feed that tank.