Need help transferring shrimp out of store bought death trap

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

alantz55
Egg
Egg

Need help transferring shrimp out of store bought death trap

Post by alantz55 »

Hello. I have a small plastic square tank (maybe 3x3") that I bought two opae ula shrimp in, and am looking to put the shrimp in a bigger, open container which I can control. I need to know the exact salinity I can use, because I can't test the water they are in as there is simply not enough to fit in my hydrometer. Will it be safe to use distilled water instead of ro/di water? And if I cant get the salinity correct, can I safely acclimate them to the new water? (I will also be using their old water for some beneficial bacteria) Please help! Thanks :)
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Need help transferring shrimp out of store bought death

Post by LeShrimp »

brackish water to a salinity of 1.005 to 1.010
alantz55
Egg
Egg

Post by alantz55 »

Thanks for replying. I almost put them in 1.014. the site said from (about 1.005 sg) to 23 ppt (about 1.016 sg)?
AndyH
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by AndyH »

Welcome. Yes you can use distilled water. Salinity of 1.014 is fine. I normally do 1.012 or 1.013. There are many many topics in this forum about removing shrimp from those type of structures and setting up a new tank. Check them out with the search function!
alantz55
Egg
Egg

Post by alantz55 »

Thank you! I'll try to search for some posts.
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Iwantshrimp »

Use 50% salt and 50% fresh and get some more shrimp they hunt in packs :D I wouldn't use too much water from the old tank though, test the ammonia levels before :!: