Brackish water and cherry red shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Dhopkinson
Egg
Egg

Brackish water and cherry red shrimp?

Post by Dhopkinson »

Has anybody had any experience with cherry red shrimp in brackish water? Whats the highest they can tolerate? Ideally i'd like to acclimatise them to around 1.012 - 1.015! (15-19 parts per thousand) I've heard of people putting them in 1.008 for medicinal purposes, but wondered if they could slowly be acclimatised further?
Dhopkinson
Egg
Egg

Re: Brackish water and cherry red shrimp?

Post by Dhopkinson »

thanks all for the advice and feedback! great forum! Just for anyone else who is wondering about this question, I have increased the salinity over a few days to a specific gravity of 1.10 now and the shrimp are doing fine, even breeding! SO yes it can be done, slowly.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Brackish water and cherry red shrimp?

Post by Mustafa »

Dhopkinson wrote:thanks all for the advice and feedback! great forum!
--And thanks for your patience! Also, thanks for not sarcastically complaining about a lack of immediate replies!

Just for anyone else who is wondering about this question, I have increased the salinity over a few days to a specific gravity of 1.10 now and the shrimp are doing fine, even breeding! SO yes it can be done, slowly.
--If you have done some research in this forum, you would have found the posts that I had posted over half a decade ago that talk about these shrimp's ability to live in brackish water put to about 1.004 specific gravity. At 1.010 they are going to die sooner or later...even if they look hallways "normal" for weeks.