Dying shrimps.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Dying shrimps.

Post by harikrishna »

Been a while since I've been on this forum. Last winter(October 7th) I bought 20 Cherry shrimps and after 3 month of breeding and I counted 347 of them. After that I've moved them from a 20 gallon to a 60 Gallon tank long. But now Summer and since last month they've been dying none stop. In June that i had 3 tanks setup had Snowballs, Yellow shrimps and blue pearls. They are dying off too and my snowballs and the yellows do not have any females. But during beginning of summer the snowballs had around 12 little shrimps that are doing fine and no death so far and from that tank only the adults are dying off to 2 males left. My cherry shrimp colony dropped from 347 to about 30. All I've been doing during the summer is netting out dead shrimps and I don't know the cause of it from all the researches I've been doing. This is a fun hobby and i do not want to give up. I need some help and some of my shrimps have a milky line inside their body and I've also got a bunch of little worm too in my tanks that are showing. Am not sure if its too hot or if its bacteria or overfeeding. I've been trying to find out everywhere. I've also bought an RODI filter for them which I've been doing 50% RORI and 50% tap water. I live in the desert and the temperature in the tanks sometimes gets up to 82 but now since I've got it down to lower am still having some deaths in the blue pearl tank. Am starting to think its the temperature since in winter and when it was cooler. I've never had any problems with any of them whatsoever. Sometimes i did half tank water change or none for a week and they did fine and fed them daily. But now its different and not sure what the problem is. I've ordered cuttlebone thinking its the molting and dewormer and thinking its the worms in the tank or its simply the water temperature issue as i live in the hot desert. I don't want to try too many things and mess up and kill all my shrimps that left and want to ask the forum for advice before trying any of them. Thank you in advance
Harry
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Re: Dying shrimps.

Post by harikrishna »

Anyone have any ideas?^^
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

Did a water test on all the tanks today and the ammonia was at 1.0 ppm and the middle tank was at 2.0 pmm and I was shocked and just did a 25% water change in all the tanks with half RODI and half tap de-clorinated water. Am guessing adding the dewormer made it worst or not the right timing and I did a lower dosage recommended online. Also the nitrate was at 0pmm and the nitrite is at 1.0Pmm which i don't know how to fix but hopefully the water changes fixes some of the problems. But other thing I want to know if anyone have any problem with thier shrimp having a milky white colored line through their body? and what is the cause of that and is it whats killing them?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Sorry to read about your issues. There are multiple things that could be responsible for your tank problems, but the most likely ones are 1. overfeeding, which causes bacterial blooms and possible ammonia spikes 2. slow chloramine poisoning.
If you have tons of shrimp, and increase the amount you feed, it's easier for a tank to get out of balance. Just stop all feeding. Dose the tank with a double amount of dechlorinator (doses for the whole volume of the tank). Go get yourself a chloramine test kit for pools. Measure your tap water before and after you dose it with your dechlorinator. The chloramine level should be zero in your change water. Tell me what your kH is and if any naturally occurring algae are growing on any surfaces. Finally, it would help to have a picture of your tank for diagnosis purposes. The white inside the shrimp or any other issues you notice have nothing to do with worms or infections...they are just direct causes of issues with their environment.
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

I'll stop feeding but how much longer should i stop feeding for? and i did couple of water changes and this is my new waters parameters.
Tank 1 cherry
ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm
82.8F

Tank 2 Cherry
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
81.5F

Tank 3 yellow shrimp
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
79.7F
kh 3
gh 5

Tank 4 Snowball Shrimp
Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
78.1F
kh 2
gh 5

Tank 5 Blue pearls
Ammonia 0.50ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
77.5F
kh 2
gh 5

And these results is before i dosed the tanks with declorine.
Am going to get some pictures tonight plus theres a lot of brown algae on my glass on the tanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It does not look like your tanks are cycled. I would not feed at all until your shrimp run around all the time and pick around non-stop (and you have algae growing on all surfaces). That could be weeks...or months. There is enough food in there, so starvation is not an issue.
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

I haven't had any death so far but this morning i did another water test and the ammonia was 4.0ppm in both snowballs and bluepearl tank and the yellow shrimp's ammonia is at 1.0ppm.
Nitrate is at 0 and even nitrite is at 0 now. Am confused of whats going on with the tanks and i did a 25% tap water change last night declorinated and with another 25% water change this morning
with another 25% but declorinated RODI. Am not sure if all my shrimps are going to die or whats going to happen or how to fix it. I did extra declorine in the tanks to remove the ammonia and i'll do
another water test later to see if that's working.
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

Today one of the tank was really clowdy for some reason and hasn't been like that before as i can barely see anything in the tank. Ammonia is still high and not sure if i need to do extra water change or now. :cry:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You may want to check if something is decaying in your tank(s).
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

Nothing is decaying at all but i can barely see in there and i do not know if i should do anymore water changes.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

How is your tank?
harikrishna
Egg
Egg

Post by harikrishna »

my tanks are all settled and cycled sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the help and advice mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! Have fun with your shrimp! :)