Macrobrachium gracillirostre?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

inka4040
Egg
Egg

Macrobrachium gracillirostre?

Post by inka4040 »

Information on this gorgeous macro is profoundly scarce on the web. Anyone on the forum have experience with them? Most importantly, I'd love to know if they are high or low order in terms of breeding, ie shrimplets vs larvae, and whether they can complete their life cycle in fresh water. Really hoping you all will be able to help me out some!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Macrobrachium gracillirostre?

Post by Mustafa »

They definitely are great Macros! Unfortunately, they don't have direct development. They have tons of small eggs, and their larvae need saltwater/brackish water. There are other very interesting Macros out there, though, that reproduce readily in a freshwater tank, like the fuzzy claw macros (Macrobrachium eriocheirum).
inka4040
Egg
Egg

Post by inka4040 »

Thanks so much for the speedy reply, Mustafa! It's unfortunate they can't complete in fresh water. They really are amazing creatures. Has anyone ever tried to raise the larvae, and would it be comparable to amano shrimp in complexity? I understand some species of shrimp have a number larval forms before settling down as shrimplets.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I don't know of any breeding reports. The problem is that most Macros are rarely available in the retail market, so there aren't all that many opportunities for breeding them. Without seeing the eggs it's hard to say how breeding these guys compares to breeding Amano shrimp. Usually, egg size is directly related to number and length of larval stages. The smaller the eggs, the longer and numerous the larval stages.
inka4040
Egg
Egg

Post by inka4040 »

Fortunately, these guys show up on import lists pretty regularly. I'm tempted to bring some in just to try em out. Again, thanks so much for the speedy reply.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, they do show up on import lists...just not in stores all that much. As you probably know, there's tons of stuff on import lists that does not make it to stores. In any case, please share your experiences with us if you do end up getting them.