Die Shrimp from Soft Shell

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

winwin
Larva
Larva

Die Shrimp from Soft Shell

Post by winwin »

Hi all,

Don't know u guys have the same problem as I do. I always find shrimps die after they changed shell. I found the dead shrimps always have soft shell. It seems the new shell just couldn't get hard and so it dies.

My tank is a grass-growing tank and has PH around 5.6 and water from Hong Kong is soft. Please kindly comment. :shock:
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

You will need to add calcium -- your water is too soft. A little crushed coral in a bag in your filter is probably the easiest way to do it, although I add Calcium carbonate in powder form. You may want to add a few drops of Reef Iodide (Kent or Seachem or maybe another brand available there?) as well to help with their moulting. I would get some calcium in there as soon as you can, though. Good luck!
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Thanks Piscesgirl,

I just added two Shells in the tank, hope they help. Also, I read from some where that it is no good for fish / shrimp if the water is too hard. But I forgot the rational behind...

Do u know will hard-water makes co2 harder to dissolve in water?

Thanks again!
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I'm not very good with chemistry, but harder water is better with Co2, because otherwise there can be very unstable water. You need a kh (carbonate hardness) of at least 3 for some water stability. This is the buffering capacity of the water.

Harder water is fine for shrimp -- the reason people say to keep water acidic is because Ammonia is toxic to shrimp -- but in acidic conditions, Ammonia is not as toxic. The important thing is to keep your water quality absolutely clean -- no ammonia, no nitrItes.

The shells may dissolve slowly - which is fine -- check to see how high your ph rises (it will rise). I do not suggest ph of lower than 6.5 personally.
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Now I know I am not going to the Wrong site, u are pro!

But for your info., the reason I need to keep my water bit acidic (my dream is not over 6.2) is because my plants and fish are said to be best if water is bit acidic (quoted by books). And in fact it is true! My 'Sunflower' plants have grown to peak condition under PH of 5.6 (even better than my supplier's)! Too bad I can't show u my pics... :?

By the way, what is your PH Level adn what kind of fish / shrimp u have?

PS. Really nice talking to u... :o
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

My plants do fine -- I don't test my ph very often -- but when Pigheadd tested my water when he came to pick up some shrimp -- it was 6.5. It is my understanding that animals do not do well in ph under 6.0. Of course, plants do fine! My water is soft -- like yours -- but I try to make sure that there is sufficient calcium for both the plants and the shrimp. I have to add it sometime every day! They use it up very quickly.

I have both Crystal Red Bee Shrimp and Cherry shrimp that breed very fast -- I have approximately a hundred in my 29 gallon planted tank. There are some pictures around this site.

Here is one picture I took yesterday (I uploaded on another fish site -- I hope they don't mind me linking...)

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The word is not quite out yet on what kind of water different kind of shrimp species need to prosper. I do put a pice of crushed coral (or used to anyway) in my tanks, but I had no proof it actually helps. I tested the water of my Crystal Reds when they came in the bag and the PH of it was *way* below 6 and the water had *absolutely* no GH or KH. The guy is breeding the Crystal Reds with great success in that kind of water. He told me he is using "bottled" water, which I am assuming is RO water as it has no GH or KH whatsoever.

So..the bottomline is: Everyone has some kind of opinion on GH, KH, PH etc., but it's all guesses. Nothing has been more or less scientifically (or even close to it) established on what kind of water and water chemistry shrimp need.

Even the so widely recommended Iodine is, in my opinion, not needed. I would like to see a single piece of convincing evidence that suggests Iodine is needed (I am talking about some kind of scientific evidence...not just "oh...this guy is using Iodine and his shrimp are doing great...so I am going to use it too). I have not ever used Iodine in my life and my shrimp are doing great, too.

Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Hello again,

As mentioned above, I added two shells in my tank for a week now, but still see shrimps dying on soft shell. It could caused by low PH (5.5) or lack of calicum, I don't really know. The only evidence I have is a soft (or no shell) shrimp with a empty shell around it!

...just lost a Red Crystal shrimp last night, so sad!!! :cry:
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

When you added the shells, did the ph go up? It may not be dissolving rapidly enough. One person suggested using egg shells, baked, then crushed, although I've never tried this myself. Another person suggested cuttle bone (normally used for pet birds), a thumbnail sized piece broken off and added to the tank.
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

well my PH does increase slightly from 5.3 to 5.5.

Actually, I want something that will boost up my PH to 6 so that both my plants and shrimp will be happy (hopefully). I have some hesitation of using egg shell / cuttle bone, for I am not sure whether there won't have any side-effect...

In your previous message, u mentioned u add something daily to make the water harder, what is that again? :)
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I add Calcium Carbonate -- which I purchased from a Beer and wine homebrewing company. I'm not sure where you might be able to locate it. It is simply powdered form and therefore I can control the amount I put in everyday. If you get some, make sure that it is food grade. It would dissolve faster as well, especially with the CO2 (my understanding is that CO2 makes Calcium carbonate dissolve, but I'm not a chemist, so I can't give you the reasoning).
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

Just curious, what is Calcium Carbonate doing in a beer store anyway? :?
Piscesgirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Piscesgirl »

I'm not sure, actually as I don't like beer and I am only now beginning to tolerate wine (whites only). I think maybe they also use it to raise the ph of the brew?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

It keeps the the pH stable. Fermentation releases acids.
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Hmm

Post by Starringme »

Have you had any snails in the tank? Some people say it is a good indicator of ur calcicum level in your tank.

A dark shell is supposed to represent enuff calcium while and near transparent one represents poor calcium...

Although I would personally not reccommend you to actually introduce snails... into the tank..