Startup Question

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

karakowski
Egg
Egg

Startup Question

Post by karakowski »

I am working on setting up my supershrimp tank, and I had a question. How long do I allow the tank to cycle before adding the snails and macroalgae? After those are added, how long does the tank cycle before adding the shrimp? Also, do those bacteria cultures (such as seachem stability) help the tank cycle faster, or does it still take the same amount of time?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Startup Question

Post by Mustafa »

Can't tell you anything about any bacteria products since I have not used any, but you can add the snails and macroalgae right away. After that it takes somewhere between 2-8 weeks for the tank to completely cycle. You can add the shrimp pretty early on, but they won't be moving around much until the tank is fully ready. They'll probably sit somewhere in a hidden place and look pretty pale. Once the shrimp run around picking at stuff, you'll know the tanks is ready. The best indicator for a cycling tank is when algae start growing on various surfaces...first brown algae, then green algae.
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Startup Question

Post by Iwantshrimp »

I've heard unto 8 weeks for the cycle process