Crayfish and tank lighting

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

alexvpaq
Egg
Egg

Crayfish and tank lighting

Post by alexvpaq »

Now that my crayfish is healthy and growing so quickly (A female orange P.Clarkii) I've been realizing she rarely comes out of her hiding tube when the light is on and when she's out and she sees me walking around the room or anything suspicious she zooms right back in her hole or under the big branch. However when the light is off, she roams around as usual. It definitely is not a pre or post molting behavior type thing. She recently molted and is eating a lot.

At the moment I have the basic light that came with my tank : http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighting/F ... ulbs/A1589 it's exactly that one. I don't really know what light would be better, I'd rather keep on going with a fluorescent bulb since It would keep the cost down.

I also have on hand another lighting set that I want to try (I'll do it tomorrow morning when I'm home) it's an LED http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighting/L ... ting/13570

When my girlfriend adopted a bunch of fish last spring from a friend, she also gave her that lamp but we quickly realized her smaller lamp was way enough so this one is just catching dust and it would probably fit on my tank. It seems equivalent but there are blue LEDs and I haven't really seen them side by side and this night lighting option may be of help for a moment to actually be able to look at my crayfish without her hiding all the time but I wanted to know what some of you are using or doing. Or is that just normal and I should get used to it?
alexvpaq
Egg
Egg

Re: Crayfish and tank lighting

Post by alexvpaq »

The crayfish seems to prefer the LED lighting system for the moment, I started with the blue lights on for an hour and she looked fine with it and it was nice to see her do her things for once, now I went with the full lighting and she seems fine with it. But the fit on my tank ain't amazing and I'm still curious to hear what you guys do as far as lighting goes.
Craw Chief
Egg
Egg

Re: Crayfish and tank lighting

Post by Craw Chief »

None of my crayfish tanks have lights, but if I were to do it, I would probably select LED over fluorescent bulbs although I understand the cost is an issue.