Cambarellus shufeldtii with loaches?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

erikgallagher
Egg
Egg

Cambarellus shufeldtii with loaches?

Post by erikgallagher »

I was wondering if I could mix kuhli loaches with the Cajun dwarf crayfish? I have a 20 gallon tank filled with an assortment of very piece small fish, my biggest fish are loaches and a few platies. I wanted know if the Cajun dwarf crayfish could be put in with other fish including loaches? Will it try to catch them?
Craw Chief
Egg
Egg

Re: Cambarellus shufeldtii with loaches?

Post by Craw Chief »

The most likely answer to your question is yes, they will be safe with loaches. As a rule of thumb, dwarf crayfish (such as C. shufeldtii, CPO, C. diminutus, etc.) are generally safe with plants, fish, and shrimp. However, on occasion they may get an appetite for one of their tankmates. It could be due to underfeeding or improper diet, could be water temperatures, or could be overstocking.

In a 20 gallon, I think you'll be fine, especially if it's a 20 long. It'll be even better if there are ample hiding places for your crayfish. If they feel threatened by the other fish (which they may if they have nowhere to hide) then they may act out defensively. However, as long as you provide hiding places and feed them well, they should do well in your community.
erikgallagher
Egg
Egg

Re: Cambarellus shufeldtii with loaches?

Post by erikgallagher »

Thanks for the info I currently have a medium size piece of drift wood in the tank, its very tall but it stretches about half way across the tank I also have a fake tree stump with holes to go inside of it. I'm thinking of getting a pile of small cichlid stones since they are perfect caves and my previous crayfish, one I had a few years ago loved cichlid stones.