Looking for some help with a new setup im trying

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

benbow88
Egg
Egg

Looking for some help with a new setup im trying

Post by benbow88 »

hello all,

I'm somewhat new to the shrimp hobby, have had some green caridina and yellow neocaridina, and red cherries before.

I am lookign to set up a new shimp tank, the theme as odd as it may be is "superman", I will be doing this by adding as follows,

Yellow - yellow neocaridina shrimp
Blue - Blue tiger
Red - ??

I knwo I cant do red cherries or crystal reds, and ive searched online for a species of red shrimp that wont interbreed with the with two aforementioned colours/species.

My thoughts are this thus far,
1) red carribean dwarf filter shrimp (Micratya poeyi) - only breeds in brackish water thoguh, thus colony/color will eventually die over 1-2 years.
2)Hawaiian Red Shrimp/Volcano shrimp (halocaridina Rubra) - only breeds in brackish water, colony eventually will die off.
3) possible dwarf red crayfish - though possible may attack baby shrimp, other tankmates

just wondering if any enthusiasts may have a solution, or may perhaps know of a different freshwater breeding red shrimp that will not interbreed with yellows, or blue tigers.

your help will be much appreciated!

cheers!
John
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Re: Looking for some help with a new setup im trying

Post by jayr232 »

How about dividing the tank in three? Or get Opae ula, Halocaridina rubra (note: its the red shrimp in the picture of this site)
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Mixed species tanks ( jelly bean) may be a challenge as neo vs car. have different water parameters. Also many caridina' s crossbreed. I would suggest yellow neo, and lower grade CRS (less costly). Blue tigers are $$ and will have a range of blue offspring from some blue to none. Also tigers will cross with CRS. Try Caridina sulawesi or Malawa while not blue they will not cross breed with the neo or the crs. This will give you yellow, red/white and wild colors grey,brown etc.

Please stay away from H. rubra in fresh water tanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote:
Please stay away from H. rubra in fresh water tanks.
I'll second that. This species doesn't just breed in brackish water, it needs brackish water to survive and thrive.