My tank.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

My tank.

Post by SillyDaddy »

Okay it is nothing fancy, but I thought I would share my tank with everyone and ask for information on a few things. I have what is the equivalent of about 1.5 Gallons of water and then the decorations in a $19 jar atop a lazy Susan, but I want to find a 5-8 gallon cylindrical "Glass" container. Otherwise, would a Any ideas? Edit: It is nearly filled to the top, I just needed to get more water prepared to top it off... The first pictures are from when I had my initial set-up.

Second, I admit my first order came from Hawaii and has a couple of rescues from the death orbs (Exosphere) they sell in stores, but I also noticed I have Metabetaeus lohena in my mix... How much do they eat? Edit: There are 2 M. lohena.

I am also looking for new ideas, larger rough lava pieces (Red or Black) and more coral decorations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I would like to know what the brown striped, skinny tube looking things are in the last picture from another page.
Attachments
My tank...
My tank...
3.jpg (88.06 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
One of my faded shrimp from some other seller... :(
One of my faded shrimp from some other seller... :(
5a.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
One of my shrimp from Petshrimp
One of my shrimp from Petshrimp
4a.jpg (35.87 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
What is the branch-tube looking decoration in this pic?
What is the branch-tube looking decoration in this pic?
557728_167688496703921_368316085_n.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
Last edited by SillyDaddy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Re: My tank.

Post by SillyDaddy »

My tank, additional pics... I would love feedback and ideas.
Attachments
Sitting on my desk before I put it on the lazy Susan...
Sitting on my desk before I put it on the lazy Susan...
1939570_409591362520342_1667515354_n.jpg (65.08 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Side view
Side view
2.jpg (89.54 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

Nice tank. I believe that is tiger coral.

Is there too little water for your shrimps?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Nice cookie jar. I might add a couple inches of water as all the decor takes up a lot of water volume. Go up to the shoulder of the jar.

In your new tank I would use less substrate. Maybe only a half inch. Otherwise I really like all the coral. The Meta eats just like the rubra's. Nothing special.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

These pics are from last year... I have added water since then and they enjoy a full swimming area. I will take new pictures when I can afford the new camera. These pics were taken with me cell phone. I am looking for a larger cylindrical glass tank, If anyone knows or hears of anything (Under $300.00 US) please let me know.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pictures! Do you think you can take a picture of the M. lohena?
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

Danzel, They are not tiger coral. I wish I knew what they were though.

Mustafa, Even though you won't share your moss balls, I will respectively do as you request.
Attachments
Metabetaeus lohena larger of the 2
Metabetaeus lohena larger of the 2
7a.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Metabetaeus lohena Larger of the 2
Metabetaeus lohena Larger of the 2
7.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Metabetaeus lohena with "Super Shrimp" the Smaller of the 2
Metabetaeus lohena with "Super Shrimp" the Smaller of the 2
7c.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Metabetaeus lohena up close, best I can do with cell phone and my so called "Tank".
Metabetaeus lohena up close, best I can do with cell phone and my so called "Tank".
6.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
AndyH
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by AndyH »

Thanks for posting the pics of the Metabetaeus lohena. I was debating trying to get one of them last year. Have you ever had any supershrimp breeding in your tank? What has been your experience with the M. Iohena interacting with the supershrimp? Does it ever act aggressively toward the smaller shrimps?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for sharing! :) You'll get your moss balls soon enough.. :-D

In my experience the M. lohena do not attack or harass the supershrimp at all. They are voracious and opportunistic feeders and eat anything the supershrimp eat, including pieces of algae they can grasp. I can imagine, though, that, although they don't attack adult supershrimp, they might opportunistically feed on larvae if they they can corner them.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

Actually Mustafa, It has been my experience they don't really have a chance to interact with the H. rubra. The Opae Ula tend to move away when it comes too near. They do eat quite a bit more, but there is plenty in the tank to make it happy... I just abide the time as I wait for it come out of hiding.
danzel
Larva
Larva

Post by danzel »

So this Metabetaeus lohena is safe to put inside the tank along with opae ula?

Need to change the water conditions or they can survive in the same conditions as opae ula?
AndyH
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by AndyH »

Mustafa wrote:In my experience the M. lohena do not attack or harass the supershrimp at all. They are voracious and opportunistic feeders and eat anything the supershrimp eat, including pieces of algae they can grasp. I can imagine, though, that, although they don't attack adult supershrimp, they might opportunistically feed on larvae if they they can corner them.
That's always been my concern is the possibility of the M. Iohena cornering the supershrimp larvae and eating them. Because the larvae in my tank don't really move around that much... just bob up and down in the corner by the light. Looks to be easy prey.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Post by SillyDaddy »

In the wild, M. lohena is found in the same pools as the Supershrimp. There is no need to make any changes, but I ask that you try to rescue it from someone local who accidentally ended up with one instead of go for a seller who targets them from the pools in the natuaral Hawaiian environment.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, usually the supershrimp get out of the way quickly, so there is no danger, but larvae may get cornered, especially if they swim towards some outside light source after the tank lights go off.

As for keeping M. lohena with Supershrimp...I would not do it as they optimally need more frequent feedings. They can't scrape aufwuchs after all as they have claws instead of "brushes." So...unless you feed them they won't find much to eat, whereas the Supershrimp constantly find something in the tank. Maybe with tons of Macroalgae and tons of light (for rapid macroalagae growth and nutrient uptake) it's possible. Having said that...unless you are an *experienced* breeder of shrimp with saltwater larvae I would *not* recommend buying these shrimp from anyone as all these shrimp are guaranteed wild-caught...and almost certainly illegally/from protected habitats. And...they are much, much rarer than even the Supershrimp.