Painted Gravel Safe????

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Painted Gravel Safe????

Post by Iwantshrimp »

Hi all

Just wondering because ive heard that shrimp are *very* easily harmed my toxins and i got some gravel from my local Walmart because it was the only place with gravel under $20ish and i think that they may have painted them ie not naturally white. Sorry just wondering and any advice in any other substrates that would be good.
SillyDaddy
Larva
Larva

Re: Painted Gravel Safe????

Post by SillyDaddy »

If you can find crushed coral, check the home decor center at your Wal-mart, then I would highly suggest boiling it for 5 minutes by adding it to the cold water and letting it heat normally as you stir it occasionally. Let it cool and dry on paper towels for a full day. Coral seems to be the best substrate. As for painted rocks, I would prefer a bag of sand myself. Boil it, let it cool then use it as substrate with egg shells crushed into it. The egg shells provide a similar process as the coral by maintaining Ph but not as well.
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Iwantshrimp »

Thank you.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

If there is a local fish store, lfs, near you that sells marine fish and products ask them if they have any open bags of marine sand. They will frequently sell it to you and at discount. Any fish safe product should be fine.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Actually, any thoroughly washed natural sand or gravel is fine. You add a handful of crushed coral or similar calcium carbonate source all evenly all over the substrate and you're good to go. The substrate doesn't have to be all crushed coral. Almost all of my tanks are sand with crushed coral, sea shells or limestone on top. Only 4 (out of over 60 Supershrimp tanks) have all crushed coral substrates.