why are my shrimp not moving?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

pealow
Egg
Egg

why are my shrimp not moving?

Post by pealow »

I recently purchased 10 Opae Ula in a rum bottlewith a sea fan, white sand and a piece of what looks like red coral. This came from someone who has a shrimp website in Hawaii. They came already in the bottle with water. They have gotten quiet after having them for 5 days. They have overhead light and were active when they first arrived. They are also very red. The water level is a little below the neck so oxygen can probably get into the water. I have not fed them and don't intend to until they start moving. No algae is growing yet. I can't move them right now into a larger home. Can anyone tell me if this is normal tor them to get quiet like this.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: why are my shrimp not moving?

Post by KenCotigirl »

Shrimp are like allergy medicine. May cause excitability or sleepiness. How is that possible? Contradiction? All true. New shrimp may swim in laps for a few days or hide in the shadows. Try not to worry. Patience will be rewarded.
pealow
Egg
Egg

Post by pealow »

Thank you...I fought the urge to feed...glad I did. Today I gently moved them near a northeast window and the activity has increased. That seem to love the bright but sunless natural light!
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I dislike usernames. I use cotigirl. It seems like a womans name but my name is Ken, a man. Why did I choose it I am not sure. Confusing, yes. Do I call you pealow, pea, p? Forums are strange. Am i showing my age?

Glad you fought the urge the to feed them pealow. If you read enough on this forum feeding or overfeeding is the number one scourge. Just make sure the tank cannot get direct sunlight. As it will surely over heat a small tank. Finally how about a picture or two?

Ken
pealow
Egg
Egg

Post by pealow »

Since my name is Paula LopezI shortened it to pealow...kind of like j- lo
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Very funny pealow! I like it. I bet you have a friend named mark anthony. Still waiting for a picture of your tank.
pealow
Egg
Egg

Post by pealow »

How do I upload a picture...never posted a pic in a forum.
shmohney
Larva
Larva

Post by shmohney »

When you are posting a message, look below the message box and you'll see two tabs - "Options", and ""Upload Attachment". Click the latter and you'll get a box from which you navigate to the filename of the photo you want to upload.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote:I dislike usernames. I use cotigirl. It seems like a womans name but my name is Ken, a man. Why did I choose it I am not sure.
Oh great...you have no clue why you chose it? I've been trying to figure out for years what exactly a "Cotigirl" is, and now it seems like I won't be able to. Dammit! I thought you were female at first, too, by the way. And then when you said you're "Ken" I thought that that was a strange name for a woman. :-D :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

pealow wrote:How do I upload a picture...never posted a pic in a forum.
It's been almost three weeks now...are you still figuring out how to upload the pics? :-D
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Mustafa, back in 2008 this was the first forum I joined. When it asked for user name and password I used unique names not realizing I would need to remember them and everyone would see the username. My username was my black labrador's name, Cotigirl. Future forums I use Ken or a variation of Ken.
pealow
Egg
Egg

Post by pealow »

I use a mobile version on my kindle fire. When I tried to upload a picture, it says invalid file. I tried to upload a pic from my gallery...it didn't work. I have to see if I can figure something else out.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

My problem with posting pictures is reducing file size. I just hit 'choose file' then 'add file'. It works or tells me the file size is too large. Not sure how to reduce file size. I just crop until it works. Not sure which file extensions are allowed. Sorry not a lot of help.
'
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote:Mustafa, back in 2008 this was the first forum I joined. When it asked for user name and password I used unique names not realizing I would need to remember them and everyone would see the username. My username was my black labrador's name, Cotigirl. Future forums I use Ken or a variation of Ken.
Do you want me to change your username to Ken? Or maybe CotigirlKen? The second name would help with keeping past posts coherent and comprehensive where people referred to you as "Cotigirl".
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Sure Mustafa you can change my user name. If going with CotigirlKen keeps things better for searches etc. that will work.

CotigirlKen [edit by admin: now known as KenCotigirl]