Need advice on getting started

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Syscrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Need advice on getting started

Post by Syscrush »

COTIGIRL wrote:I am jealous. I really like that yellow one. I have some that are very pale, whitish but not yellow. Also nice pics of your berried shrimp.
I hardly ever see the yellow one. I took that photo a long time ago, I'm not really confident that it's still alive.

I'll watch closely for it when I feed again in 2 weeks.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Funny you said that. I put 25 poorly colored juvie shrimp in a small tank. Now that they are adults they have colored up. I think it is more possible that the yellow one darkened than died.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats on the eggs! :) People have been getting eggs and offspring left and right lately. Awesome! That "yellow" shrimp was just a pale shrimp. If you look closely you'll actually see red on its body, legs and feelers. It probably did not die, it just became fully red again (hence you can't find it anymore). The yellow/orange mutation looks different. There is absolutely no hint of red. Compare to the pictures of my yellow/orange shrimp I posted in their own thread...
Syscrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Syscrush »

Today I saw that I have a gravid female - these eggs are still inside, she's not berried yet:

:-D
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

That is called berried. Could be your exposure but the eggs look yellow/orange or orange/yellow, whichever means more orange than yellow. Great news and good luck.
Syscrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Syscrush »

I thought "berried" meant that the eggs are attached on the outside of her body?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

They are on the outside of her body. She holds them onto them with her swimmerets or pleopods. Wait till you get a side view. Also check out the thumbnail top left on this page or the species page.
Syscrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Syscrush »

You may be right, but it really looks like they are inside her belly still. It's not visible in these pics, but when I see her from the side, her belly is clearly distended. Also, today I saw her again and there was a 4th egg visible. So I don't know if they're inside or outside, but I'm very glad to see these signs of a generation to come in the tank. :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That distended abdomen area *is* on the outside of her body. There are only pleopods (swimmerets) there, nothing internal. When the eggs are inside her body they are right behind her head...in the "neck" to mid back area (visible as a dark area).
Syscrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Syscrush »

Big news today:

I see 4 babies & 3 pregnant mamas.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Great news on the larvae! Thanks for the pictures.
Ken
Syscrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks. I'm excited about it - I hope that they do well. It's funny, I've been wanting for a while to prune the macroalgae, it's growing like crazy - but I'm really hesitant to cause any disruption in the tank now.
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Iwantshrimp »

I am no expert, but in my experience with freshwater snails breed like crazy. These snails however apparently rarely breed if ever in captivity. In my opinion you probably have a healthy tank.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Syscrush I noticed something interesting. On my ipad your third picture reveals 3 larvae. However when I am in the 'Post a reply' on my ipad the third picture has a forth larvae in the upper right corner. Is it just my ipad or a quirk of the forum?
Either way again great news. Heads up. When the larvae complete their metamorphosis do not be concerned if they seem to disappear. Mine hide for a good month and suddenly reappear. May not happen to you.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote:Syscrush I noticed something interesting. On my ipad your third picture reveals 3 larvae. However when I am in the 'Post a reply' on my ipad the third picture has a forth larvae in the upper right corner. Is it just my ipad or a quirk of the forum?
There are four larvae, Ken. It must be an issue with how your iPad displays pictures. It's probably cropping it...

And, great news Sys! This thread has become a fountain of great news! :D