Check out this new shell for my hermit crab

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Check out this new shell for my hermit crab

Post by Harry »

Check out the snazzy Nerite shell that my hermit has selected. With those blue eyes and new shell, this guy really has it going on.
Attachments
hermit.jpg
hermit.jpg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Check out this new shell for my hermit crab

Post by Harry »

Here's a shot of a different hermit, also in a nice colorful shell. This photo is very clear and you can see the one large claw on this "left-handed" hermit. He does not have the "zebra" markings on his legs, so he may not be the Clibanarius Zebra, as claimed, but another form of Clibanarius. That's a black nerite snail at the right (Nerita Picea) endemic to Hawaii.
Attachments
hermit2.jpg
hermit2.jpg (246.49 KiB) Viewed 997 times
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Great pictures Harry! Keep them coming.
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

OMG!! That has to be the most beautiful hermit crab on this planet. Woo Hoo! I wish mine would set up house in one of my red Nerite shells. Two are now in the shells that I bought with the crabs and one is still in his ugly black one.

I'm sure I asked you this but are those pictures you're taking with a cell phone? There very good and I seem to struggle taking good shots with my cell phone and my SLR and I even have a 90mm macro lens for my Nikon camera.
Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Harry »

I'm using a Canon G10, which is a pro-level point and shoot. Not as good as my SLR, but handy to have around. I use it for work constantly. The cost of the Canon G series cameras comes to about $500. I find that cell phones don't do such a great job. The key with the aquarium shots is to work both with and without flash, in the macro setting, and at various focal lengths. And you have to get lucky, with the subject right at the front of the glass. When I get my subject right in front, I snap off about ten shots and then look through for the best one.

That guy is quite beautiful with his nice colors.
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

Sounds like a nice camera. I'm looking for another point and shoot myself. I would love a very long zoom, over 20 MP, shoots RAW and is light to carry. I wonder if I will be able to find something like that? Also, it would be real nice if it was one of those mirror less cameras. I love photography I belong to the Boston Camera Club. This is my second year and I have learned so much. I compete for ribbons in digital and print. One time I had a macro digital picture of one of the shrimp but I don't think the judge was to impressed. :?

Keep the pictures coming, specially the handsome dude in the awesome shell.