High Grade CRS x Bumble bee

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

icecube
Egg
Egg

High Grade CRS x Bumble bee

Post by icecube »

Hello everyone,
I just had a query. I recently acquired about a dozen high grade CRS ( SSS, Mosura, etc..). From my research i know that due to selective breeding their gene pool is week. I was wondering that if i cross them with bumblee bee shrimps (thats from where the CRS originated, right? ) will that strengthen the gene pool? Also will it affect the grade of the CRS?
Thanks and Regards
Mudassir
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: High Grade CRS x Bumble bee

Post by KenCotigirl »

Crossing with wild type will dilute the grade.
Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Bumblebee and CRS are different species. Most shrimp sold as "bumblebee" don't cross easily with CRS. There is no such thing as "weak gene pool" when it comes to shrimp. I wouldn't worry about crossing in anything at this point. See if you can breed the shrimp before thinking about advanced topics like crossbreeding. It's not as easy as people say...
icecube
Egg
Egg

Post by icecube »

Thanks for the response guys,
I have been lucky/sucessfull with low grade CRS, now looking forward to sucessfully breed the higher grades.
One more point, the shrimps that came in have a dull intensity of white, its more like kinda opaque, instead of solid white. Any idea on this? Are the shrimps still settling down or do we have low grades even in mosuras, SSS????
Thanks and Regards
Mudassir
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I do not have CRS but when shrimp are shipped they are stressed and often lose color/intensity. Wait a week or two and they should be properly colored up. Also juveniles are not as colored as adults. If they never color up talk to the vendor.

Ken
icecube
Egg
Egg

Post by icecube »

Thanks, will wait for a week or two and see what happens.
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

icecube wrote:Thanks, will wait for a week or two and see what happens.
Quality and health of the shrimp also plays a big role in terms of the shrimp coloration. While you can strengthen the health of the CRS by crossing it back to its wild counter part (which is not bumblebee but orange bee or black bee) you can also mix a couple of high grade CBS with them and will do just the same while maintaining its quality/grade. so if you mix CRS and CBS it will be

CBSxCRS=100% CBS with CRS gene
CBS(with CRS gene)xCRS= 50%CRS and 50% CBS with CRS gene.

unless if your CBS has already a crs gene with them then the process of having only CRS will be much faster. After 2 generations with cbs, you can remove the cbs again and have only crs and after few generation of crs you can add back the cbs and repeat.
icecube
Egg
Egg

Post by icecube »

thats good info,
Thanks mate
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

As long as I can help you. I find quite most of the american forums for crystals, taiwan bees and tigers are quite lacking so I am also trying to pitch in my knowledge as much as I can.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jayr232 wrote:As long as I can help you. I find quite most of the american forums for crystals, taiwan bees and tigers are quite lacking so I am also trying to pitch in my knowledge as much as I can.
Sorry to say this...but, again, please, please, please do not dispense information that you read somewhere and make it seem like it's your own experience. Mixing CBS with CRS to "strengthen" the CRS line is nonsense...always has been, no matter who says it. There is no "weakness" in these lines (it's all imagined) to begin with and most CBS and CRS are so highly intermixed that they are no genetically all that distinct anyway. Plus...as I have said before...shrimp don't seem to suffer from inbreeding defects.

Again, please do yourself, and us, a favor and try to gain some experience before dispensing advice that you read somewhere. Before you gain experience there is no way for you to judge with information is nonsense and which may actually be closer to the truth.
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

Im pretty sure i wrote in my knowledge and not my experience. Anyways, it seems like you are actually running away from the fact that inbreeding can actually harm even invertebrates. The fact that crystals have different coloration and patterns are proofs that crystals already highly inbred. Introducing new blood is just simply as simple as like outcrossing when breeding fish. I am just trying to help him/her to keep his /her shrimps to get an unwated mutation for even further inbreeding.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jayr232 wrote:Im pretty sure i wrote in my knowledge and not my experience. Anyways, it seems like you are actually running away from the fact that inbreeding can actually harm even invertebrates. The fact that crystals have different coloration and patterns are proofs that crystals already highly inbred. Introducing new blood is just simply as simple as like outcrossing when breeding fish. I am just trying to help him/her to keep his /her shrimps to get an unwated mutation for even further inbreeding.
You don't have *reliable* knowledge until you have some experience. Once you gain some experience you will be better equipped to distinguish nonsense knowledge from valuable information. Again...do your research on what I have said here about inbreeding...I cant write the same stuff over and over again every time someone doesn't understand issues with shrimp inbreeding...i't only takes a few searches. I won't get into it now...suffice it to say that inbreeding *can* harm any organism (*if* there is a genetic problem to begin with)...but it doesn't in animals like shrimp for reasons I have rehashed here bunch of times (a little tip until you actually use the search function: genetically deformed shrimp don't seem to survive long enough to spread their genes..they are outcompeted by healthy shrimp in the tank, and in nature they get eaten quickly by predators.

Different coloration or color variations in shrimp are not "proof" of inbreeding harming anything..it's proof that you can selectively breed shrimp via inbreeding...I do it all the time when I develop new color varieties from wild animals...never had any issues... When people *think* they have "weak" populations, they usually mess up something about their tank which causes mass die offs, stops reproduction etc...then they set up a new tank to cross in "strong" blood and...wow...it works! Breeding resumes...except that it's probably the fact that the new tank resolved whatever issues there were with the old tank, not because the bringing in "new" blood had anything to do with it.

In any case...I am done with this discussion...just do your research and form your own opinion. I simply don't want you to go around and dispense information about which you have no clue (except that you read it somewhere and are regurgitating it).