What Shrimp are these?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Bobajob
Egg
Egg

What Shrimp are these?

Post by Bobajob »

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie :) I ordered some Marimo balls off of Ebay for my Community tank and to my amazement after I placed the balls in the tank I saw these little guys swimming about. The Marimo balls were in the post for 4 days in a sealed plastic bag so I couldn't believe over 20 of these fry had survived. I emailed the seller telling them and they asked me if I was sure they were shrimp... After a few emails they still couldn't tell me what they were but thought they might be RCS. Can anyone tell me what they are? Amano or maybe even Tiger Shrimp? Luckily I had just purchased a fluval edge to start a shrimp tank so the free shrimp were meant to be. Help would be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers

Bobajob
Attachments
Gang
Gang
image.jpg (146.16 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Tank
Tank
image.jpg (590.15 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Shrimp Fry
Shrimp Fry
image.jpg (249.21 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Re: What Shrimp are these?

Post by jayr232 »

These are very low quality cherries
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

jayr232 wrote:These are very low quality cherries
Nah...nothing to do with quality. They are some type of wild-colored Neocaridina sp.
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

Mustafa wrote:
jayr232 wrote:These are very low quality cherries
Nah...nothing to do with quality. They are some type of wild-colored Neocaridina sp.
Hmmm. Well what i'm sure about it is it's not a genuine wild-type but some mixed Neocaridina which makes the offspring muddy color or brown color.
Also mustafa, have you tried mixing a rili and a sakura? try not to mix the red ones but the other colors instead like the blue,blacks,green. if you mix the non-red sakura and rili, the offspring shouldnt be brown or muddy color but a mix of the parents and some other neocaridina color patterns :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

"Wild color" does not mean "wild shrimp." Having caught and imported wild Neocaridina spp. myself, I can tell you that there is no "genuine wild type" as you say. There is a lot of variation even within a single species. The above shrimp are clearly wild-color...no matter if they are actually wild-shrimp or not. As for mixing various Neocaridina sp. varieties...nowadays *anything* could result from such mixes as multiple species seem to have been bred together to produce the various colors and patterns.
jayr232
Larva
Larva

Post by jayr232 »

Mustafa wrote:"Wild color" does not mean "wild shrimp." Having caught and imported wild Neocaridina spp. myself, I can tell you that there is no "genuine wild type" as you say. There is a lot of variation even within a single species. The above shrimp are clearly wild-color...no matter if they are actually wild-shrimp or not. As for mixing various Neocaridina sp. varieties...nowadays *anything* could result from such mixes as multiple species seem to have been bred together to produce the various colors and patterns.
Im pretty sure that some here in eu actually tries to breed only wild-type neos and they don't seem to look as bad as they say. I will try to get a picture of it and see if I can share it here.
Bobajob
Egg
Egg

Post by Bobajob »

Thanks Guys for all you help. Looks like They've caused a bit of a debate. They are a fascinating bunch because some have gone redish, some have a blue tint and some are like this guy... He looks a bit like a Tiger. They are growing so fast and most of the females have eggs already. I love my low quality wild indestructible free Shrimp :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (227.82 KiB) Viewed 2487 times