Algae growing

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

cathyfarmer
Egg
Egg

Algae growing

Post by cathyfarmer »

Hello, I inherited my shrimp tank from a co-worker. The tank has always been nice and clear and has four shrimplings, an
a large green algae plant with a few shells.

I use ultra pure water and add a few ounces every couple of days depending on the evaporation.
And feed them just a pin head flake or two every two weeks.

All of a sudden maybe two weeks ago or three it started to turn green. There is alot of algae on the tank walls.
Is there anything I can do to clean it up a bit?

Thank you for your assistance!
Cathy
powerbook
Egg
Egg

Re: Algae growing

Post by powerbook »

Immediate remedy:
I don't know how big your tank is but you can clean up with mechanical brushing (magnet cleaner?)
You can also grow snails that can eat green algae.

Long term solution:
You should limit sun light exposure to minimize green algae growth.

Other thoughts:
You shouldn't use ultra pure water exclusively (no minerals in the water)... I use 1:1 ultra pure and dechlorinated tap water.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Powerbook I am not in agreement with your comment on water replacement due to evaporation. RO water is perfect for replacement due to evaporation. Evaporated water leaves the minerals behind. Ro water is very low in dissolved solids. Adding water at a 50/50 rate will increase tds which could cause problems. 50/50 is sometimes used for water changes.

Reducing light could be helpful if the tanks new location gets more light. The feeding amount is fine. Why not ask your coworker what his tank maintenance procedures were.
powerbook
Egg
Egg

Post by powerbook »

I totally agree... If just to make up for evaporation Ultrapure water is good (I use MilliQ water which is more pure than RO).
But for regular water change, I wouldn't use water without minerals... ( I do 25% every week to keep up with my inhabitants..)
Reduced light is one way but you can also increase brown algae growth with low light..