CRS hiding under filter

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Sarynda
Egg
Egg

CRS hiding under filter

Post by Sarynda »

Hi all,

I just created an account because I have a question about my Crystal Red shrimp. I have a Juwel Rio 125 with the original sponge filter up and running. The tank has been working for nearly a year when I added five shrimp (I know, too few shrimp, I am planning to buy more). The shrimp happily swam into my filter, got lost in there and are now below it (there is about an inch of space there, filled with gravel but enough room for the shrimp). I can only see them if I look there with a torch and I still count three to four per day. Now my question: I would like for them to get out of there. I opened a 'tunnel' so they got fresh water and food, but they won't move from under there. They might be scared of the fish and I can't reach them, I was hoping that you would have some advice as to how I could get them out of there and back into the tank. As for the fish, I have:
- 2 honey gouramis
- 6 cardinal tetras
- 2 oto cynclus
- 5 red nose salmon
- 6 rasbora galaxy

The fish have left the shrimp alone when they were still in the tank. Any ideas on how to get the shrimp out from under the filter?

Thanks!
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: CRS hiding under filter

Post by KenCotigirl »

To be blunt fish and shrimp do not mix. Small shrimp become fish food and large shrimp/prawns eat fish. There are always exceptions. You need to make a decision. A shrimp tank dedicated to shrimp or a community tank where shrimp will be rarely seen or end up dead/eaten.

Ken
powerbook
Egg
Egg

Re: CRS hiding under filter

Post by powerbook »

I am surprised that your CRS are still alive in your tank.
They are highly susceptible to stress (from your fish).
I would put them in a separate tank or put a nice divider to make their own space.

Shrimps love sponge filter (or stuffs stuck on the surface of sponge).